Trying to choose a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a relatively new diver and I am looking to buy my first dive computer. I like the air integrated units that have quick disconnects and either built in electronic or attached compasses. I am not nitrox certified, but hope to be in the future. I think I have narrowed it down to three models and I am looking for input from the board regarding their ease of use and the quality of the associated software for downloading dive profiles. I would also be interested in hearing about any other features that you like or dislike for each of the models. The three that I am interested are:

1. The Suunto Cobra 3

2. The Sherwood Wisdom 2

3. The Aeris Atmos ai.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!

I assume you've already made up your mind on console v. wrist mounted? I went for wrist mounted, less stuff to dangle, and you always know where it is, no fumbling about etc.

I do like the console style ...... one less battery to change/fail.

I know the cobra's are good, and the aeris. I would go with whatever one is cheap, nitrox compatible and user replaceable batteries. I know Suunto, aeris, oceanic, Uwatec are all pretty good comps. Dont know about the sherwood, i think the cobra 3 just has built in compass over the other cobra's. The Gekko's are also pretty good too. Unless your navegating underwater you dont really need a compass (here our dives are all drift dives so kinda an extra feature that you easily get by without one)

I have a Cobra 3. I like the AI in the console and the compass is really nice. You can use it at a 45 degree angle with accuracy. Suunto uses a conservative algorithm and I like that too. It adds a little extra safety in my opinion. I really like it. I have friends that have the Sherwood and they really like it too. Don't know anything about the Aeris. Have fun picking out your new Toy. Toys, gotta love em.

I love my Sherwood Wisdom 2. So easy to use - one button that does it all. Big numbers make reading the displays a snap.

Console dangling about? Try using a bolt snap and snap it to your BC's D-ring. Does wonder for streamline. I prefer to tuck it between my armpit and the BC's shoulder strap. That way the console rests in front of my chest and I can cradle it with my left hand - keeping it tucked in for streamline, it isn't dragging on the reef and when I need to see it, it's right there already in my hand.

Hi,

I have a Wisdom 2 and love it. I can't comment on the other two computers. If you are going to dive with only a single computer, I strongly recommend one with a huge numeric display - the bigger, the better. If you get into low light environments and low vis diving, you will really appreciate being able to see what information is displayed on your computer. I used to dive with a bottom timer as a backup and found that it was often difficult to make out my depth. As an aside, even adults with healthy vision suffer degeneration in their vision around age 40.

Just to complicate your life, I'd suggest that diving with two computers is a good idea. On a long dive trip, the failure of a computer might seriously put a crimp in your diving schedule. The largest benefit however is that you can easily and continuously monitor your depth and N2 loading off a wrist computer more easily than off an air-integrated (non-hoseless) computer.

So far with 8 dives on my Cobra3 I love it. I have been researching for almost a year before I bought one. I felt for my needs and type of diving I plan to do, the Cobra gives me plenty. Like everyone says it is conservative but I havent felt it get in my way yet. Remember its all about your safety and what your comfortable with... Good Luck!

I think most posts will be I have the X, and Love it! :D

Since most folks don't go out and buy several computers, and then dive them enough to make a good judgment on the strengths/weaknesses of each, your responses are going to be based on a bunch of experience from users of one computer. So here is mine:

I have the Aeris Epic (AI wrist), and Love it! :D It is a bit complicated but it does to much not to be. I have the Atmos II (wrist, non-AI), and it is a bit easier to use vs. my Epic, but it does a lot less. The only differece between the Atmos II, and Atmos AI is the air integration.

All dive computers I've seen show you what you need UW without doing anything more than looking. Most have the option of displaying additional data with the touch of one button. Most do nothing more than display data while UW, but the Epic is one exception.

AI is nice. With one glance you get everything you need to know about your dive.

The Suunto is a more conservative computer vs. the Aeris. I prefer a less conservative computer, as it is easy to dive more conservitively, but non possible to make your computer LESS conservative.

No computer monitors your body, (well maybe heartrate) so Nitrogen loading is based on a theoretical model.

I like wrist mounts. My transmitter works great, and after 2+ years, I have replaced the battery in the wrist unit (Epic) annually, but never the battery in the transmitter. You can check the transmitter battery from the computer.

I think all three choices will provide you with years of use, however think hard about the console option. I know many that have gone from console to wrist, but never the other direction, and there is a reason. Kinda like a pocket watch, how many folks to you know that use them vs. wrist watches... very few.

Back
Top Bottom