Trying to decide the best hoseless computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I got it so cheap was the LDS was having a Halloween sale and you got 15 to 45 percent off (you drew it out of a container when you were ready to check out) plus 10 percent for wearing a costume. I drew 35 percent and got 10 percent for my costume all together 45 percent off. I guess it was my lucky day.

Yeah the Atom is pretty expensive. Thanks for all the input. Here's my question, if i'm not sure i'm going to get into tech yet, but i may in the next year or so, is it better to get a cheaper computer that isn't full deco and gas switching and wait to get one when i'm into that, or is it better to plan ahead and get a computer that has all of it? Does the technology get improved so fast that these computers become outdated in several years? And also, is the Vytec like REALLY REALLY conservative, so much that you'd have more time if you stuck with the Padi tables? I want a lot of bottom time, but i want to be safe too. Thanks! I can get the Aeris for $700, is right now is there any huge advantage forking out another $300 for the Vytec? I do really like the RGBM algorithim though...

Austin:
Yeah the Atom is pretty expensive. Thanks for all the input. Here's my question, if i'm not sure i'm going to get into tech yet, but i may in the next year or so, is it better to get a cheaper computer that isn't full deco and gas switching and wait to get one when i'm into that, or is it better to plan ahead and get a computer that has all of it? Does the technology get improved so fast that these computers become outdated in several years? And also, is the Vytec like REALLY REALLY conservative, so much that you'd have more time if you stuck with the Padi tables? I want a lot of bottom time, but i want to be safe too. Thanks! I can get the Aeris for $700, is right now is there any huge advantage forking out another $300 for the Vytec? I do really like the RGBM algorithim though...

Yes, the RGBM is very conservative... Padi tables list a 60 for 55 minutes, Navy tables, a 60 for 60. Aeris and oceanic, 60 foot for 57 minutes... RGBM... less than 50 minutes... I forget now (not at the shop) but it's like 47 or 58 minutes.

So yes... when I was doing a live aboard with some folks diving RGBM compters, they were not able to get in as many dives as those of us with Aeris. Of course, we all got bent up like pretzels... :wink: just kidding... no one got bent - I've been diving an Aeris for years and never seen a problem...

And just because a computer says you can stay for another 10 minutes... you can decide to stay only 5... If a car does 150 miles per hour... is it mandatory to drive that fast?? Conservative or liberal is in the diver... not the computer.

My vote is for the Vytec. It will handle three different gas mixes and its easier to read underwater. I got mine in June of this year and have dove it extensively. I am very pleased with its performance. It's not so conservative that it's going to ruin the experience of your dive. Think about it, does five minutes really make that much of a difference to you for a little bit of extra safety?

But it seems like it's better, in some cases, to have a more liberal computer and just accommadate for that when doing a series of repetitive dives over several days. An example would be on the Aeris Atmos Elite to treat the yellow zone as if it was the red zone, basically, only staying in the green unless your just doing one dive that day and you want to stay down a little longer, then maybe go into the yellow and take a longer safety stop.

That's another question, the Haldenean alg is more liberal because it allows much more time when you ascend, while the RGBM is based on the belief that extrememly small bubbles develop that interfere with the "gassing off" of the larger bubbles, right??? I guess the disscusion over which alg is correct is for another time, but if anybody has any comments on that go ahead.

Since I'm almost 17, i won't even be able to do Decompression diving where i'll need to switch gases for almost another year and a half correct? Are there so many new gadgets and functions coming out that i'll want a different full deco computer in a year and a half or 2? Also, if a computer only goes to 50% EANx then it can't do Rebreather's right? I'm intrested in this, but i don't know how useful rebreather's can be, i would like to be able to sneak up on aquatic life and not have the bubbles scare them away.

Thanks for all the responses!!

Austin:
But it seems like it's better, in some cases, to have a more liberal computer and just accommadate for that when doing a series of repetitive dives over several days. An example would be on the Aeris Atmos Elite to treat the yellow zone as if it was the red zone, basically, only staying in the green unless your just doing one dive that day and you want to stay down a little longer, then maybe go into the yellow and take a longer safety stop.

That's another question, the Haldenean alg is more liberal because it allows much more time when you ascend, while the RGBM is based on the belief that extrememly small bubbles develop that interfere with the "gassing off" of the larger bubbles, right??? I guess the disscusion over which alg is correct is for another time, but if anybody has any comments on that go ahead.

Since I'm almost 17, i won't even be able to do Decompression diving where i'll need to switch gases for almost another year and a half correct? Are there so many new gadgets and functions coming out that i'll want a different full deco computer in a year and a half or 2? Also, if a computer only goes to 50% EANx then it can't do Rebreather's right? I'm intrested in this, but i don't know how useful rebreather's can be, i would like to be able to sneak up on aquatic life and not have the bubbles scare them away.

Thanks for all the responses!!

If you're thinking rebreather look at the VR3, or some thing in that class of computer the pricing might scare you a little, but then if you get into a rebreather price should really matter to much. If you are looking at trimix, on open circuit, then the units you're looking at will do that for you. If you only want some thing to dive nitrox then look at something like a Suunto Cobra. All I've seen with the hoseless air integrated computers has been problems, at least in cold water, maybe there aren't to many troubles with the hoseless units in warm water.

Are there many uses for Rebreather's in rec diving? Your saying an Atmos Elite can do trimix? I'm just a gadget nut, i love having the best there is, within a certain price range, LOL! I'd love to have a hoseless one and haven't heard of many problems with them and really want to eliminate another hose. I definitly want to do EANx. Thanks again! Why am i doing homework on Monday morning at 2:40??? Stupid highschool! :D

Austin:
Are there many uses for Rebreather's in rec diving? Your saying an Atmos Elite can do trimix? I'm just a gadget nut, i love having the best there is, within a certain price range, LOL! I'd love to have a hoseless one and haven't heard of many problems with them and really want to eliminate another hose. I definitly want to do EANx. Thanks again! Why am i doing homework on Monday morning at 2:40??? Stupid highschool! :D

I meant to say some of the class of computers that you are looking at (hoseless) can do trimix. I myself don't trust the hoseless technology that's out there and have seen problems with them. I dive a Cobra myself, it has eanx capibilities, but can't be switched over during a dive. I like that the unit is RGBM and that I can download all nof my dive info. It is a full blown deco computer, so it does everything I want it to.

Thanks hardhat, good advice. I never knew that the PADI tables were based on the Haldenean alg. Now that i know that, and i really trust the PADI tables, which were also based off the NAVY tables, i'm much more comfortable with having a Haldenean alg computer, like the Atmos Elite.

Have a bunch of people had trouble getting a signal with the hoseless? I wasn't aware that it was a big deal, unless you have your arms tucked tight against your chest with the computer buried under your other arm, in which case you have to unfold your arms anyway to read it, thereby regaining a signal. I just love the idea of eliminating another hose, then working on integrating the octopus into the Power inflator, and only having two hoses including the power inflator!

Are there many uses for Rebreather technology for Rec. uses, besides lengthening bottom time and getting closer to wildlife? Thanks for the opinions!

Back
Top Bottom