How to get familiar with my computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
I got an Aeries XR1 dive computer basically for free. This is my first dive computer (I have never used one before). It's in like new condition and came with all the original manuals and paperwork etc. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but then again I didn't spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on it -- and I wanted to get familiar with a basic computer to get a better sense of how I use it, what really matters to me, etc, before I do spend a ton of money.

This computer has a single button interface, and I'm finding it very confusing. I've tried reading through the manual but it's very confusing and doesn't always seem to match what the computer is doing. I have a feeling this is going to take me MANY hours of fiddling around to get comfortable with it. However, when I turn it on out of the water, the screen is changing quickly and seems to display numbers that don't make any sense (eg, changing depth values). I think this is because it's in "surface mode" and that basically prevents me from learning how to use it.

I don't feel comfortable taking it on a dive until I know how to use the interface, because if it behaves differently underwater, then I can't really trust I know the interface based on anything I do out of the water. I am worried that if I take it on a dive, the screen might get stuck on something that isn't indicating my rate of ascent/safety stop info forcing me to make a blind ascent. On the other hand, if it's always in surface mode, then I have no way to practice and get used to the interface before diving. Seems like a catch-22...

Can anyone offer me advice about how I can get familiar with this device (or ANY dive computer for that matter) in a safe environment?

If you are currently diving with tables you can plan your dive as always and take your computer and get used to all the information it displays. Your computer will give you credit for any shallow portions of your dive so the NDL time limit on your computer will be longer than your table time unless your dive profile is perfectly square. once in dive mode, most all computers will limit functions to diving only and some will time out or bounce back to the important screen needed during a dive after briefly viewing another screen. don't be afraid to play with it while on a dive that you planned with a table. you'll soon see that its very simple....enjoy and keep us posted...

My wife has a 1 button interface, which she uses only as a back-up, and we both hate it. But the simplest way I can tell you how to navigate the menus (and I think this is fairly universal among 1-button computers) is a short press to cycle thru menus and a long press to choose the highlighted menu item. Yeah, it's confusing and if you miss the item you want to go to, you will probably have to cycle thru the menu again to get back to it.

I would never buy another 1-button computer but if, as in your case, it was practically given to me, then maybe. But I'd have to think about it. For a long time.

Most 2, 3, or 4 button computers are a lot more user friendly and intuitive. But even at that, most dive computers, even the 1 button style, will go into dive mode once it gets wet or exceeds a certain depth, usually 3-6 feet depending on the make and/or model. It should give you most, if not all, of the information you need for the dive. I personally use a Suunto Vyper Novo which is air integrated. With a quick glance at my DC, I can see my depth, remaining air pressure, remaining air time, dive time, and no deco time. I can use 2 of my buttons to scroll thru other info such as water temp, PO2, time of day, and other info. Easy, peazy.

Just take your diving. Using it is the best way to learn it and figure out what the instruction manual is telling you. But I would suggest doing that in a shallow environment first instead of taking it on a 80-100 ft dive on your first time in the water with it.

Last edited:
Take it underwater and follow your guide, and/or your dive plan. Watch and try to understand what the computer is doing.

Ultimately, for simple rec diving, all you need to do is look at the NDL and go up or not go up. 1-button interfaces are a bit of an insult to the user's intelligence ("you no touch!"), but ultimately on most rec dives you never need to press any buttons.

/rant: It's not that 1-button UI is an inherently bad idea, it's that you need to make the system supremely simple if going for it. Instead they hook up half a real PDC's UI, 3/4 of which is superfluous, with unsuitable controls. If it was just "push to scroll through log, long push to switch EAN", it would've been fine.

Candle-light and a warm bath?

Maybe a glass of wine?

Some chocolate?

Last edited:
I've never used the site, so I coun't vouch for how great it is. However, there is a website that has dive computer training for many models of dive computer. http://www.divecomputertraining.com

Presumably, you'd be able to simulate dives with an approximation of your computer rather than only playing with the settings. Many features of the dive computers I've owned are only available when you're actually underwater.

Also, read the manual. It's boring, but useful. The manual can be found here if you want an electronic copy: https://www.malibuscubarepair.com/Aeris/XR1.pdf

Back
Top Bottom