Trying to decide the best hoseless computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin:
Thanks hardhat, good advice. I never knew that the PADI tables were based on the Haldenean alg. Now that i know that, and i really trust the PADI tables, which were also based off the NAVY tables, i'm much more comfortable with having a Haldenean alg computer, like the Atmos Elite.

Have a bunch of people had trouble getting a signal with the hoseless? I wasn't aware that it was a big deal, unless you have your arms tucked tight against your chest with the computer buried under your other arm, in which case you have to unfold your arms anyway to read it, thereby regaining a signal. I just love the idea of eliminating another hose, then working on integrating the octopus into the Power inflator, and only having two hoses including the power inflator!

Are there many uses for Rebreather technology for Rec. uses, besides lengthening bottom time and getting closer to wildlife? Thanks for the opinions!

As far as rebreathers go, they seem to be more in the tech domain these days (besides work and milatary applications) than in the area of rec. diving. Guys that I know that own rebreathers are heavy into the technical diving, they use them mainly for long, deep wreck dives and such. They do use them for some of their recreational diving but they also admit they they aren't getting the full use of them in that sort of application.The other thing that you need to keep in mind is the cost of the units and the cost and time involved in the training to use them.

The problems that I've seen with the hoseless units seem to be more with the transmitters not always working right. I've also seen quite a few of the transmitter floaded after people change batteries. Floading the transmitter means none of the air info gets to the computer on you wrist.

That wouldn't be good now would it? So are there any statistics toward the reliability of transmitters? Is that other people's opinions as well?

What about the Oceanic Pro??? Any opinions about this one?

Austin:
What about the Oceanic Pro??? Any opinions about this one?

The Pelagic computers, (oceanic pro, aeris elite) got much better as far as transmitter dependability in the last few years. They redesigned the units and loss of signal is very infrequent now.... and even if it does happen - it will pop back on right away. I have found dealing with Aeris easier than dealing with Oceanic anytime I needed a problem fixed... so since they are the exact same computers - I'd lean in the Aeris direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom