Trying to have fun with a bad situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba spark:
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to send a message to speargirl to get the details on the condo. If it were just me, i'd have no problem staying in a little hole in the wall hotel, but the woman needs a little more in the way of creature comforts.
That's your best bet... I even put it in my sig line :wink:

I have traveled both the keys, Tampa, and Miamia-Ft. Lauderdale extensively. What are really your priorities? If you want shallow reefs with lots of fish and big fish go to Key Largo. Yes, there are more fish in Key Largo than Ft. Lauderdale. Why? Because the Key Largo reefs are in a marine preserve which means no fishing, no spearfishing, no lobstering, no anything when it comes to the wildlife, unlike Ft. Lauderdale.

If a hotel with a beach is your priority go to Ft. Lauderdale, you can find some really good rates, although nothing 3 star and above for less than $150-175 per night. Of course, if you're willing to spend that much you can get both in Key Largo, a hotel room on the beach and excellent diving on shallow reefs with more fish than any other dive sites in Florida.

One recommendation I would make is that if you're schedule is flexible, visit your brother up in Port St. Lucy on the weekend. Beach hotels in South Florida tend to be much more expensive (and less available) on the weekends then during the week. In fact, when we were in FLL a couple of years ago, it was a lot cheaper for us to take a weekend cruise to the Bahamas than to stay in the hotel we were in.

If you decide on coming down to the Keys, check with Speargirl--if she has nothing available, a lot of the shops have hotel/dive packages.

Plus....there are quite a few former St. Louisans down here! :)

Pat

I just did a quick search on www.kayak.com for the dates you mentioned, and it it seems there is plenty of availability in either place for cheap (must be empty...). Anything from 2 stars for less than $50 a night to a couple of 4 stars for a little over $110 a night. (The most expensive that came up was only $200 a night in the FLL area...) Don't forget to check the North Miami Beach/Aventura/Sunny Isles areas, too. There are some very nice, older (ie cheaper) places right on the beach with dive shops in them. We used this place for all of my out-of-town wedding guests in November. It wasn't bad. And, they had a nice pool, a nice beach, and a dive shop in the downstairs, that set up trips to the Keys, transportation included. http://www.newportbeachsideresort.com/

Enjoy the diving, where ever you end up. :D

Diving wise you can't go wrong in either place.

Cheaper hotels can be found in a little town on the water called Lauderdale by the Sea and they have a nice shore dive there too. We have also pricelined decent in land hotels for way under 100 a night in the area.

I have stayed in a crappy but clean little hotel in the Keys around mile marker 100 (by Diver's City Op) for around 75 a night.

The good news is that the diving in both is fantastic so don't worry, you won't feel like you are killing time. In fact, the diving in south Fl is better than in most places I have been in the Bahamas. It sounds to me like you both have more experience than most newbies I have been on boats with in south Florida so don't worry about that. HAVE FUN wherever you decide upon! I'll be in Key Largo this weekend!!!!!

If you contact some of the dive shops in Key Largo you will find most of them do dive and hotel deals. A group of buddies and me are down to Key Largo in August (please no hurricanes) and we are getting 3 nights hotel and 3 trips on the boat for $325 a piece. Most of the dive shops in Keys have the same type of deal, you just need to call around. I'm sure there is a thread on this board with a list of the key largo dive operators.

325?

dive = 65x3 dives = 195

125 (cost of a condo at a private yacht club)

195+125 = 320

hmm, save 5 bucks and have a bigger, nicer place to stay (2 bd rm, 2 bth, livng rm, kitchen, etc)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom