Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how "touristy" is unpalatable to you, but Tulum is pretty touristy. Yes, it's a real town, but the primary business is tourism. It reminds me of a Mexican Lahaina in a lot of ways, with the main street lined with shops that basically sell the same made-in-Taiwan tourist souveniers and clothing, and a lot of restaurants.

That IS too touristy... I lived, off and on, for yrs in Key West.. am over the tourist mecca thing. thanks..

There are a number of small communities on roads going down to the beach, like Akumal and Casa Cenote, but they aren't really towns, and I suspect all of the homes are a) very expensive and b) owned by people from out of the area, if not out of the country. Places like Akumal and Puerto Aventuras also have a real pueblo on the west side of the highway, where houses are more on Mexican standard. We have thought about this, but security is an issue if you are not going to occupy the structure full-time.

I and my bestie. Maggie... are looking, so one of us will always be there. My standards are not your usual expat standards. I am pretty much aware of housing in other countries most of which I am gtg with .. most of the time.. :wink:

You should also be aware that Mexican law precludes non-nationals from owning land within a certain range (I think it's 100 km) of the ocean, so all you can do is a long-term lease.

I am not into owning anymore.. and being a born n bred Gulf Coaster, I am pretty aware of the fact that the Yucatan gets more hurricanes than most areas... being ON the coast is not really of major interest.. I am quite happy a bit inland.

If you are just checking the area out, there are options for relatively low-cost long-term rentals. A friend of mine is currently renting a 2 bdrm condo in Puerto Aventuras for $500 a month.

Yep that we are... thanks.. may be that we will move on and look elsewhere, or not.. any advice or direction is greatly appreciated. It is so hard to get past the hype online while cruising the websites. The books on "moving to mexico" focus on mtn or west coast expat enclaves. None of which I am interested in, in part, due the area and crime statistics. I have NO desire to be in the middle of another civil war, drug related or not.
thanks so much.. A.

ps... and the drive to dive from the west coast or mtns is a bit to far from me.. <GG>

cool thanks..what if I were looking for a long term rental? Not necassarily beach side... safe, inexpensive in that order..

Yo may consider as well Chemuyil, located north of Tulum, along 307 highway, not turistic as Tulum, but there are some nice and comfortables houses for rent, a neighborhood called Chan-Chemuyil.

Chan Chemuyil Property Management & Vacation Rentals

or check with Renta Vacacional en Playa del Carmen - Condos y casas para renta | Mexico

for more options along the coast.

Back
Top Bottom