Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooner1

Reaction score
Has anybody done any ocean dives around Tulum? I'll be going in October and already have some Cenote dives planned. Any recommendations on ocean dives in the area. Also...anybody know what travel time is between Tulum and Cozumel or any recommended routes? Muchas gracias!!! :wink:

The ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen is about 45 minutes. Then I am guesstimating 45 minutes to an hour south on Highway 307 to Tulum. Abyss operates a second shop in Tulum at the El Crucero Hotel which is at the entrance of the Tulum Ruins. Then after the ocean dive just a minute up the road is the Dos Ojos Cenote at www.hiddenworlds.com.mx which is a very refreshing dive after being in the salt water all day. When in October will you be there? We're going late October into early November and heading that way from Cancun. If you're there when we are we can pick you up at PDC on the way down:)

I just got back from down there a couple days ago. I did most of my diving in the Akumal area through Akumal Dive Shop - incuding Dos Ojos. The water in Tulum is fantasic - brilliant shades of Caribbean turquoise almost as beautiful topside as down under. Teamheatwave's driving time estimate of 45 - 60 min. to Playa del Carmen is good, though it can be done in 30 if you drive like the maniac Mexican taxi drivers down there :wink: .

Teamheatwave,

We'll be staying at the Blue Sky Hotel on Tankah Bay Oct. 22-27.
It's just outside Tulum so no need to pick me up in PDC. Let me know if you'll be in the area around those dates. I've never driven in Mexico so I'm a little nervous about the drive down from Cancun.
I was hoping somebody could give me information on ocean dives to request around Tulum. I've been to Coz and PDC a lot but never as far south as Tulum and really didn't want to spend a lot of time travelling to a dive site. My wife is not a diver so I'll have to leave her at the hotel when I dive. :crafty:

Check out Abyss Divers and tak with David. They have a dive shop right at the entrance to the Tulum Ruins. No need to leave the wife stuck in the hotel (unless of course that means she is hanging out at the swim up bar). She can maybe explore the ruins while you explore the waters just beyond the ruins. She can also accompany you when you visit Hidden Worlds / Dos Ojos. We traveled with a few non-divers. Some snorkeled and one even hung out on the dock to the bat cave while we dove. A 1T dive is about 45 minutes so they are not too bored. If you go the other way and head north talk to Cat Brown from www.DivePuertoMorelos.com. She can help set up whatever ocean diving you want. Also, Cancun, PDC and Tulum all have bus stations that are very inexpensive and safe. The most difficult part is getting the location and schedule down but any of the dive shops can help you with that info.

AKmountaineer: I added a few minutes on since they are first-timers :wink:

I went through Tank-ha out of Playa Del Carmen (they also have a shop at the Club Maeva resort). The local diving was good--nice reefs. They also take their own boat over to Cozumel rather then taking the Ferry and then getting on a dive boat. We love both the resort and the dive shop. WE are going back at Xmas for 6 days of diving. The cenotes are great--Have fun

Greg

52 days and counting down. I contacted Abyss and will be doing my dives with them. If I decide to go to Coz is there a ferry from Tulum or do I have to drive to PDC? I can't wait for this trip.

There is no ferry from Tulum - the only ferry is in PDC. If your wife enjoys snorkeling she can snorkle at Hidden Worlds - Bat Cave, Tak Be Ha, and Hillario's Well are awesome snorkle trips...I just returned from working as a member of a film crew and we spent 2 weeks filming at Tak Be Ha...it is an incredible place.

I forgot to say that Casa Cenote at Tanka also has some very nice snorkeling...

Maya:
There is no ferry from Tulum - the only ferry is in PDC. If your wife enjoys snorkeling she can snorkle at Hidden Worlds - Bat Cave, Tak Be Ha, and Hillario's Well are awesome snorkle trips...I just returned from working as a member of a film crew and we spent 2 weeks filming at Tak Be Ha...it is an incredible place.
So you were one of the guys there filming..... I had to miss Tak BeHa while you guys were there :( were you able to go to Dreamgate in your 'off time'?
maria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom