Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooner1:
Has anybody done any ocean dives around Tulum? I'll be going in October and already have some Cenote dives planned. Any recommendations on ocean dives in the area. Also...anybody know what travel time is between Tulum and Cozumel or any recommended routes? Muchas gracias!!! :wink:
Just a quick addition to the other comments... You may also want to try Akumal Dive Shop (send an email to jesus@akumal.com or pablo@akumal.com ) they are very good and I have never heard anything but great comments from their op. If you dive with them, stop at the Cueva del Pescador to eat.... killer grouper dish.

I was there three weeks ago and rented a car from Dollar for $108/week. Driving in that area is REALLY easy and it gives you a lot of flexibility to find nice places to eat and visit. Yes, the buses are cheap and the taxis are ok, but driving would be better for you since your wife does not dive.

I agree with the snorkel trips at Dos Ojos, Tak Be Ha, and Hilarios Well - Hidden Worlds is a very professional op and their staff is great. Say hello to Brian, Che, Jeff, and Amehd for me :)

have a great trip,
Maria
PM me and I will be glad to share any info I have.

sharkdiver00:
So you were one of the guys there filming..... I had to miss Tak BeHa while you guys were there :( were you able to go to Dreamgate in your 'off time'?
maria

Oh I hope you didn't have to miss Tak Be Ha because of us! Lots of tourists came through while we were there...and yes, I was able to go to Dreamgate - Buddy took me and my son and Wes' wife...it was the single most beautiful cavern dive I have ever been on....

The Yucatan is a magical place.

Yeah I did miss TakBeHa because of you guys, but NO WORRIES cuz instead I did TWO more dives at Dreamgate and (ssshhhhhhhhhhh) they let me bring my camera YES!!!!!!!!!

My daughter did TakBeHa and liked it.

I'm hooked, way hooked! So I'll be there next year to take the full three week course with Mr. Bill of Speleotech (I'm sure you know who that gent is).

Even after being in lots of cenotes and dry caves, I still go speechless when I think of Dreamgate.

Maria

sharkdiver00:
Yeah I did miss TakBeHa because of you guys, but NO WORRIES cuz instead I did TWO more dives at Dreamgate and (ssshhhhhhhhhhh) they let me bring my camera YES!!!!!!!!!

My daughter did TakBeHa and liked it.

I'm hooked, way hooked! So I'll be there next year to take the full three week course with Mr. Bill of Speleotech (I'm sure you know who that gent is).

Even after being in lots of cenotes and dry caves, I still go speechless when I think of Dreamgate.

Maria

Well you were extremely privileged to have been allowed to take your camera to Dreamgate...so did you get nice pics? I'm interested to see if the beauty of that place can be captured on film. Congrats on deciding to take the full course - Bill is great and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience.

Sorry about spoiling your time at Tak Be Ha...it was a difficult juggling job with the work we were doing and trying not to interrupt the guest's enjoyment...

Sooner 1, you have to take care on the topes on the highway, you have to speed down over there

Oceandives In Tulum are nice, but not spectaculair. The most incredible I saw in Tulum was a speerhunter/fisher. And lots of turtles! Another positive thing is tha its very quit overthere.

When you like to thrink a cocktail after the diving you have to go to la vita e bella, do I need to say more :)
Have fun!

No worries, I was mainly pulling your chain and know that there will be many more chances of visiting all of them. I will drop you a pic or two once I have some time to install the soft and upload them to the computer. It was the first time I took that camera anywhere and only the third time I tried u/w pics. So you'll have to be very forgiven when you see them.

Mostly pics will be for my own memories once the brain starts failing :)

You'll get a PM from me soon. Have a great long wkend and hope you don't get any bad stuff from Frances.

maria

Lobke,

Thanks for the info. I spent some time in your beautiful city back in '98. Can't wait to get back there. I take it la vita e bella is a bar? Where is it located? I love to have a drink or two after a dive. Do they serve Oranjeboom by chance?

Hey Lobke, the chances of getting Orangeboom in Mex are close to zero. But you can try any of the local brews, you might get to like them better than Orangeboom :)

cheers,
Maria

Sooner1:
Lobke,

Thanks for the info. I spent some time in your beautiful city back in '98. Can't wait to get back there. I take it la vita e bella is a bar? Where is it located? I love to have a drink or two after a dive. Do they serve Oranjeboom by chance?

Sooner 1, Amsterdam is nice isn't it? But its absolutely the wrong place for diving :)
No, la vita e bella is more than just a bar, they have 8 cabanas, a great restaurant and cocktails! It's located at the beach, a 10/15 minute walk from the ruins.
Why do you want to drink Oranjeboom? That's the worst beer I ever drunk! It gives me always a headache. The classic Corona, or the XX beer is mucho bettero :)
Have fun, and Im so jalours

Sooner1:
Has anybody done any ocean dives around Tulum? I'll be going in October and already have some Cenote dives planned. Any recommendations on ocean dives in the area. Also...anybody know what travel time is between Tulum and Cozumel or any recommended routes? Muchas gracias!!! :wink:

Hola!
I was there in 2001. Had cenotes dive with aktundive. Well organized, good equipment, nice people. Check
http://www.aktundive.com/

As far as the sea is regarded, .... well. I just had a couple of dives with a diving center in one resort near the ruins. Forgot the name. They did not even ask me for the certification .... not to mention the equipment and everything else. I would not say the dives were spectacular ... but maybe other diving centers are more organized.

ciao
robcap
a.k.a. Señor Granzo
a.k.a. Sku-ba-Man

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom