Turkey Day Dive - South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much of a story, I was guiding a dive on Davis Reef in the Keys on August 3, 1986. I found a Spotted Moray Eel and proceeded to show it to the group, they go gaga over morays. While watching the group out of my left eye and the eel out of my right, I gently brushed a Bristle worm with my left inner forearm near my elbow. It burned a tad worse than Fire coral. It wasn't really much of a big deal. Continue down the reef, farther and farther from the boat. While at the far end of the reef and pointing out nifty critters for folks to watch, I started feeling pain in my chest under my left arm. When I noticed that beginning, I started the group back toward the boat. Approximately half way back to the boat, the pain had moved to the center of my chest and I was having difficulty breathing. I obviously lived, but I'm not a fan of Bristle Worms.

man! that one really got you didn't it? Now I understand your hate

Walter's story was mild. I think I remember he said that he slept for 24 hours after that sting. FredT was very lucky to live through his experience. I am very, very careful around Fireworms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom