Turn off Oceanic ProPlus 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selrahc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All!

I finally picked up my computer yesterday. After looking at budget features and options, I decided to go with the Oceanic ProPlus 2. I love the functionality of the unit and the large display is great. I think I'll be happy with my decision :wink:

My question is... can you turn it off?

After playing with it I noticed the thing stays on nearly 2 hours prior to shutdown! When you first press a button the timer starts. The last time I looked at it was 1h 55min so i think it powered off at about 2 hours. Is it going to do this every time I press a button of after every dive? If so that seems like such a waste of battery life.

I checked the manual and unless I totally missed a page I don't see anything about powering off the unit. It only says after the first 2 hours it will power down until next dive.

Is there a way to power down the unit if I am on the surface after a dive or while just messing with the unit prior to a dive?

If not....... what kind of battery life can I expect from this thing?

Thanks!

~ Sel

My husband and I both have the Pro Plus 2 and ours usually shuts off sometime between 2 and 3 hours. There is no shut off or power down button, you just have to let it do it's thing. The battery life is estimated to last between 1 and 2 years depending on use. The nice thing about is that if and when the battery does go, it's user replaceable. The battery replacement kit cost anywhere from $30-$50 depending on the dive shop. Last but not least, since the backlight comes on with the touch of either button, I recomend that you store it in at least a soft case to ensure the buttons don't get accidently pressed when not in use.

Hi All!

I finally picked up my computer yesterday. After looking at budget features and options, I decided to go with the Oceanic ProPlus 2. I love the functionality of the unit and the large display is great. I think I'll be happy with my decision :wink:

My question is... can you turn it off?

After playing with it I noticed the thing stays on nearly 2 hours prior to shutdown! When you first press a button the timer starts. The last time I looked at it was 1h 55min so i think it powered off at about 2 hours. Is it going to do this every time I press a button of after every dive? If so that seems like such a waste of battery life.

I checked the manual and unless I totally missed a page I don't see anything about powering off the unit. It only says after the first 2 hours it will power down until next dive.

Is there a way to power down the unit if I am on the surface after a dive or while just messing with the unit prior to a dive?

If not....... what kind of battery life can I expect from this thing?

Thanks!

~ Sel

In addition to what TishaDee said I would suggest you skip the $ 20 - $30 battery replacement package at the LDS and just buy the batteries at Radio Shack.

I own 3 Aeris ATMOS AI computers (wife, daughter and mine). I have never bought the battery replacement package for any of these computers. Aeris and Oceanic are sister companies and the same company makes the dive computers for both companies.

I keep a spare battery in the case with each dive computer. I believe the battery costs $4 - 5$ at Radio Shack instead of $20 - $30 from the LDS. I believe the battery replacement kit also includes an "O" ring.

Considering that the battery get replaced only every year or two how likely is the "O" ring to go bad? It doesn't take any abuse like a cylinder "O" ring.

In addition to what TishaDee said I would suggest you skip the $ 20 - $30 battery replacement package at the LDS and just buy the batteries at Radio Shack.

I own 3 Aeris ATMOS AI computers (wife, daughter and mine). I have never bought the battery replacement package for any of these computers. Aeris and Oceanic are sister companies and the same company makes the dive computers for both companies.

I keep a spare battery in the case with each dive computer. I believe the battery costs $4 - 5$ at Radio Shack instead of $20 - $30 from the LDS. I believe the battery replacement kit also includes an "O" ring.

Considering that the battery get replaced only every year or two how likely is the "O" ring to go bad? It doesn't take any abuse like a cylinder "O" ring.

if you are not useing the battery kit I would keep a eye on that oring it still can get dried out and rot and cause a flood and then you might have to replace a computer and that is a lot cheeper than buying the battery kit and you can order the batteries from oceanic's web site and there probally cheeper than the LDS.

The reason you can't turn the oceanic computers off is a back in the day before computers would turn themself on when you got in the water you had to manualy turn them on before every dive so oceanic set them up to not turn off for 2 hours so when doing repetive dives the computer would be ready to go even if you forgot to turn it on before they just never got rid of the feature they say that they figured it into the estimated battery life so I don't worry about it very much have fun with the new toy you should like it

Using a non factory issued battery can save you a few bucks, but I feel compelled to caution you. I very recently heard (from the owner at the LDS I work at) that a customer had come in with a water logged computer complaining that it happened after another shop had replaced their battery. After some questioning from the owner, it was determined that the battery was a non factory issued battery sold to him by an another dive shop here locally for less then half the cost of the factory kit. My LDS owner took the battery out of the computer and compared it against the factory replacement battery. The size, numbers and even the manufacturer was the same (Sony). However, when the two batteries were placed side by side, the non factory battery was just a hair taller then the factory battery. My LDS owner called the manufacturer to inquire as to why two seemingly identical batteries would be different even though the size was the same. The computer manufacturer said they had a special contract with the battery manufacturer that adjusted the physical size just enough to accomodate the dive computers they manufactured and sold.

[Let it be noted here that I can't remember what brand computer he said it was, but I know it wasn't the Pro Plus II cause I would've remembered that since it's what I own. I will make a point to ask him when I talk to him and re-post it on here for those that would be interested.]

If someone on here owns an Oceanic Pro PLus II and has done this without problems, then you're probably safe. But I felt compelled to mention this for others who may read this and might have another brand of computer. Computers as we all know aren't cheap and I'd hate to be the one to learn this lesson the hard way.

Anyway, about the other dive shop who sold him the bad battery. They didn't even offer to help him replace the computer and they are the ones who physically changed the battery out for him and sold him the cheaper non factory battery. My shop went to the computer manufacturer and explained what happened with the other dive shop, but the manufacturer wasn't willing to step up and replace the computer for free (can't say I blame them, but they should at least deal with the other shop accordingly). They did however, offer him STEEP (well below MAP) discount on the purchase of a new one. My shop didn't make a cent on the deal, but at least we helped out the guy.

[EDIT: I post this question in Oceanic forum as well. Maybe rep can tell me why its still on over 5 hours later.]

Honestly I was thinking about letting Oceanic replace the battery when the time comes. That way they pressure test it and if there is a leak its their fault :)

I turned the backlight off for now.

This is really erking me.... I went diving today in my pool and im going on 5.5 hours after the dive. Its still on. It was on the "fly" screen. Would that make it stay on?

Sel

Last edited:
After diving, the PP2 will stay on for 24 hours. That is to track the amount of time since your last dive in case you are flying. All PDCs do that.

You don't need to worry about the battery. The battery will last for well over a year.

I don't think Oceanic pressure tests PP2s after battery changes. I doubt they pressure test them unless there is a leak.

The replacement batteries are pretty common. I've replaced the batteries in our ProPlusII's and haven't had any issues. The drug store bought replacement batteries sure seemed to be the same size. Normal force to put them in. I replaced the Oring once too.

That's been my experience anyway. I think a package of 2 was around $10-$12 bucks.

I remember having to reboot one of ours one time. It got hung up somehow. Remove the battery to do that. It'll restart. That's only happened one tme in about 4 to 5 years. If yours is showing a "Time to Fly" countdown then that's normal. 24 hours.

Yeah... thats what I found out last night. Its still on this morning but reset to fly again. So I guess that makes sence.

Thanks all!

Sel

O.k. so just to follow up on my earlier story warning not to use a non factory issued battery. I followed up with my dive store owner to find out what computer brand the guy had, and I was told that it was a Suunto; but I was also told that Oceanic had some computers in which they had slightly size altered batteries. So if you have either brand computer you should call the manufacturer prior to using a non factory battery and make sure your model isn't one of the affected models...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom