Turn off Oceanic ProPlus 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if you have either brand computer you should call the manufacturer prior to using a non factory battery and make sure your model isn't one of the affected models...

I would imagine just measuring the battery would give you the best bet! Or carefully compare the new and old battery...

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Oceanic or Suunto would spec a custom sized battery that is 'just a hair different' in size from a standard one. The thought process would be to spec out the power requirements, life expectancy (NmH or Lithium), and space available and select a battery form their supplier to meet these needs. It is very hard to justify a custom component when a standard one is available to meet the need. It sounds to me like the LDS or the manufacturer is blowing smoke to justify their pricing on replacement parts.

If in fact this is true (custom battery), then it is a good reason to steer clear of that manufacturer. Why build cost into an already expensive unit?

Blues

I imagine the posters problem might have been the reverse - a cheap knock-off battery that was not up to specs.

As if the battery is a certain size, it should fit that size! Aka a 2410 has certain dimensions, etc etc. So if the manual specifies a certain type, you should be able to use that type...

However most applications don't care about the thickness of a battery too specifically. You could make a knock-off that was thinner (but had less power in it obviously), and probably 90% of people wouldn't notice.

The original LDS then might have gotten one of these through a non-authorized dealer (buying bulk off E-bay for instance), as they found a "good deal" on what appear to be legitimate parts. Never underestimate where counterfeit parts end up! For instance a while ago there were problems with motherboards having counterfeit parts (see Electrolytic Capacitor Scam for one of many news stories on it).

-Colin

Have to raise the BS flag on this one. The operators manual calls out the battery to be used by the battery manufacturers number. If it was a special made battery it would have a different call out and probably not be available at Radio Shack because it is special use. Sounds to me like the owner put it in himself, blamed it on the phatom "LDS" and never put the packing in correctly. I believe the manual lists three batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom