Tusa X-Pert Zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babelfish

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new to diving and I am purchasing equipment. Has anyone owned the Tusa X-Pert Zoom fins and can recommend them? I'm currently taking a scuba class through my college and someone at school recommended them to me.

Thanks,

Alexander

You have opened a subject here that will usually go either one way or the other for someone! People usually either love or hate split fins.

I have a pair of Tusa's and must admit I now seldom wear them. I find them very lacking when it come to any current whatsoever. I also have a pair of Mares Avanti fins and always wear them when I go ocean diving and especially when I know there is a current. Just back from Barbados, one diver on the boat had a pair of Tusas and he too found them lacking in current.

Having said that.......the kick used with split fins is very different than with "normal" fins. Be sure whatever you do ....do not kick out side your slip stream. Keep your leg travel very small...almost to the point of a flutter kick and you will get the most efficiency out of the splits. If you use a big open kick....you will be wasting energy and go no where fast.

For me...the Tusa is ok in a lake or quarry....but when it comes to the ocean....it is my Avanti's.

I purchased a pair last year and have been pleased with them. They are a good split fin yet not astronomically priced.
Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the underwater world.

Thanks guys for your replies. A friend recently mentioned that the split fins do not work well for a frog kick. I guess the fins really have to match your swimming style.

The Tusa X-Pert Zoom fins were billed as being very energy-efficient, so they won't tire you out. I'm sort of normal-to-big sized, (6'00" 190 lbs.) so the "efficiency factor" is not as important to me as being able to go fast or battle a current. People have also told me that you can go fast in the Tusas. Hmm. Too bad my local shop doesn't rent them!

-Alexander

RICHinNC once bubbled...
You have opened a subject here that will usually go either one way or the other for someone! People usually either love or hate split fins.

I have a pair of Tusa's and must admit I now seldom wear them. I find them very lacking when it come to any current whatsoever. I also have a pair of Mares Avanti fins and always wear them when I go ocean diving and especially when I know there is a current. Just back from Barbados, one diver on the boat had a pair of Tusas and he too found them lacking in current.

Having said that.......the kick used with split fins is very different than with "normal" fins. Be sure whatever you do ....do not kick out side your slip stream. Keep your leg travel very small...almost to the point of a flutter kick and you will get the most efficiency out of the splits. If you use a big open kick....you will be wasting energy and go no where fast.

For me...the Tusa is ok in a lake or quarry....but when it comes to the ocean....it is my Avanti's.

Hi there Babelfish,

I've had my pair for about 50 dives now and like them alot. They put alot less wear and tear on your ankles and won't wear you out as quickly. They produce forward motion through a combination of thrust and lift, much in the way a fish tail does. You will have to kick with them properly as they are different than the paddles. Can't comment on frog kicking with them as I've never seen the point of using that kick in the kinds of diving I've been doing. I rarely cramp up and preventing silting has more to do with orientation and stroke length.

Size wise we are about the same. I'm 6' 206lbs.

Can't say a whole lot on fighting against the current in them. Any time that I've been in current it's been light and had no problem going up stream.

Well basically if given the choice I'll go buy another pair anytime.

Look on Ebay for a good price. I paid $170 when they came out, they can be had for around $100 these days.

Forgot to add, yes they are quite speedy. Whether on the surface or submerged. Sometime for fun I'll do laps in the pool with them. You will kick up a nice wake and start rising out of the water once you get up to steam. Makes the kids giggle.

Take it easy.

Hi Akula,

Thanks for the comment. I plan to use them for scuba and abalone diving occasionally in the 20-foot-and-under range. Someone else told me the Cressi Master Frog would be a good choice for freediving. So, I have to make the decision about what fin to get that would be o.k. for scuba as well as ab diving.

That's cool you can go fast in the Tusa split fins. The kids at the pool must think you're a tuna!

BTW, the $100 price is right on. There is a website, (Joe Diver) that will sell them for $99 now on sale. You have to e-mail them for a special coupon.

Cheers!

Babelfish:D

I like my Oceanic V6 slip-ons more, when in warm water. I'm thinking of replacing my Tusa splits with Oceanic V12 strap-ons for colder waters. If they'd just put some color on 'em. I like to dress like a Power Ranger diving. :jester:

don

Babelfish once bubbled...
Hi guys! I'm new to diving and I am purchasing equipment. Has anyone owned the Tusa X-Pert Zoom fins and can recommend them? I'm currently taking a scuba class through my college and someone at school recommended them to me.

Thanks,

Alexander

I have a pair and used them for about 20 dives or so. They have an effortless feel that I originally liked , but grew to dislike. They are efficient with a shortened flutter kick, but with virtually no other kick. The other thig is that they throw off a huge vortex. My buddy said that I was 8-10ft off the bottom, but the vortex was stirring up silt.
I've left that all behind and use a stiff fin with a frog kick.

Laser once bubbled...

other kick. The other thig is that they throw off a huge vortex. My buddy said that I was 8-10ft off the bottom, but the vortex was stirring up silt.

Really? That's very interesting.
Are you sure you are in a proper horizontal trim when you are swimming?

With paddle fins, I think I stir up the sediment at 5~6ft above the bottom doing a full power kick, but with my Atomic split fins I can get within 2~3 feet without disturbing the bottom with the flutter kick.

My observation has been that the vortex from split fins is generated towards the rear, and there is only a small amount of horizontal water movement, certainly not enough to go several feet.

If the swimmer is slightly feet down, then any flutter kick will stir up the bottom a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom