two dive computers vs. dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the tables simply because I don't trust anything electronic where my life is concerned.

If you feel comfortable and confident that some unseen worker slaving away at an assembly line in some Asian sweatshop for slave wages has done a super bangup job of assembling mass produced parts (from another assembly line in another Asian sweatshop) into a device that you can absolutely rely on to protect your life, you've got more guts than I, my friend.

Live long and prosper, my friend.

Sure. And of course you avoid all those other pesky electronics that might be involved where your life is concerned.. You know... Things like EKGs, MRIs, pace makers, travel controls on street lights, commercial flight tracking systems, the electronics controlling the breaks in your car, and all that other stuff that only suckers use if they have a lot of "guts".

:idk:

netdiver,
The brakes on my Chevy Suburban are purely hydraulic with vacuum assist. I would not have a vehicle with ABS brakes. I like having complete control of my brakes. I want to be the one who controls how much force is applied. I've never had an EKG or an MRI. Traffic lights frequently fail and drivers are left on their own to get through intersections. Ever been through a blackout of the power grid? Electronic stuff doesn't work very well then, does it?

Look, friend, I know that I'm bucking a trend here, but that's the way I am. I have never been one to follow the crowd. I find what works for me and I use it. What it all boils down to is what each individual likes or dislikes is purely personal. I choose not to rely on a dive computer. My choice. You like the idea of having a computer do your thinking for you so that your diving is easier. Your choice. In fact, there is nothing wrong with either method. Just a matter of personal preference, nothing more. As for me, I'm old, grumpy and stubborn as a Missouri mule. It's too late for me to change and I don't want to.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

netdiver, It's too late for me to change and I don't want to.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

And you don't need to change. Good to know you've never been a patient in a modern hospital and don't ever plan, too. And thank goodness you have never flown and will never fly those darn commercial airlines with all their pesky electronics to keep you alive.

Did you quit truck driving before the introduction any electronics to your rig?

Ok... I'm done with my hijack, too.

I do carry tables in my dive gear along with an B&G PSG in case my PDC fails . My backup bottom timer to use with the tables is a simple digital watch so it's still electronic.

In seriousness.... For those like Paladin without a PDC , what do you use for your bottom timer?

Sadly enough... My first several dives before I was trained properly <read resort "course"> our dive was over when someone ran out of air first. Our bottom time and nitrogen loading wasn't even mentioned as a concern.

My bottom timer is a Casio G-shock.I have it zip tied to my console right above my depth gauge. It's reliable and goes forever on a battery, but trying to hit the stop watch button while wearing gloves is next to impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom