Two Identical Regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so that if for some reason both become free, I can be sure that I put the primary back in my mouth.

Seems to me that you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If your reg comes out of your mouth, and for some reason there are two regs available because "they both came free" simply put either one in your mouth first, then figure out which one it is. At that point you can swap regs if necessary and re-stow the other one.

That said, a bolt snap on your primary - the main purpose of which is to clip it off when not in use - will have the added benefit of allowing you to differentiate your primary reg from your pony reg. (Providing far more utility than a wiffle golf ball, too.)

Thumb_IMG_0221.JPG

Are you slinging the pony bottle or back mounting it? I didn't see that question being raised and it seems the most important.. If you sling the pony bottle, it is safer (for a variety of reasons).. but if you sling it, just put an OK sign around the hose and follow it with your hand. If it goes to the slung bottle, you will know it without really looking.

If you are wearing the pony in a back mounted position (like I do) then you do need to be careful. I like the pony to be on a necklace around my neck with the hose routed UNDER my right arm pit. If the primary has no lanyard and the pony has a necklace/lanyard.. that should be a pretty big clue.

Using a very different type of mouth piece between the two regs, would provide another clue and might be smart. Avoiding a confusion between the two regulators is very important. I've never added a bolt snap to my primary regulator. It always seemed to be extra gear that I don't see a value for... but it is a very common configuration.. that should help too, I would think.

A trick uk cave divers (who've dived sidemount and in absolutely blackout vis for years) use is cutting a few notches in the rubber mouthpiece. For example, in the left reg:

Change from left reg to right reg, feel for notches, notches found, you haven't changed regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two Hollis 212 regulators. One is a attached to the primary tank and one is attached to the 30cf pony bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do so that I can tell these two apart, so that if for some reason both become free, I can be sure that I put the primary back in my mouth.

Trent

If you have to ask a question like this, you shouldn't be diving with equipment you can't handle. Get proper training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so everyone knows I am starting to get my training for public safety diving, and I am used to be able to see(computer and gauges), but with the possibility of zero visibility I just wanted to know what other people did in this situation. I know I have a lot to learn about public safety diving, before I am qualified to do this, but this was a question that was bothering me. I do plan on asking my instructor.

Just so everyone knows I am starting to get my training for public safety diving, and I am used to be able to see(computer and gauges), but with the possibility of zero visibility I just wanted to know what other people did in this situation. I know I have a lot to learn about public safety diving, before I am qualified to do this, but this was a question that was bothering me. I do plan on asking my instructor.
If you are a PSD aren't you normally going to be diving in contaminated water? I really don't want to put a reg in my mouth that has been swishing around in the same pond with a 2 week old body or the water of most of the other places that you'll be expected to dive. So I'd talk to the instructor about this, and not buy anything for the job until you do.

Different color hoses? Can you get a stock different color 2nd stage button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom