Two new SoCal Divers. With Jr. OW diver onboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to responsible for ourselfs-isn't it the rule of diving anyway? With all instructors and DM in the world? At least this is my take on it... And I think I managed to explain it to my son...

Bravo!!! It's one of the first things taught to divers but somehow that bit of information tends to go in one ear and out the other. Keep believing in that and you will progress far beyond your peers.

Con grads to you and your son. He may be cute now, but pretty soon he will be a teen and not so cute and easy to get along with. Having diving in common will be an activity that binds u and let's you spend time with. I know of what I speak as my son began diving with me at 14 and now that he's 16 it is a precious precious thing to us that we spend time diving together. I tell people that getting wet diving is not my favorite aspect of diving, it's the shared adventure and time spent with family and friends.
Deercreekers Jr and have learned to shore dive and lobster together. I wouldn't trade these times, the talks, the shared laughs (and misery) together for the world.
FYI, we are in the Valencia area and have moved from bcds and standard set ups to bpw and 7 ft hoses, we have our old equipment, including a bcd that might fit ur boy. Need to get rid of it (hubby says it takes up too much space and is just sitting there). Ur welcome to root thru it and see what u can make work for u for probably an astoundingly good price (like come get it and give me a couple hundred bucks for it and it's urs). 3 bcds, 2 sets of regs and whatever else were not using.
FYI-do not buy a wetsuit new for ur kid, Jr went thru several on his way to his 6'1 height now. Although we did buy two used Jr wet suits on scuba board that were a fantastic price so that I didn't mind he only got 6 months use out of each.
That said, owning ur own equipment, even if it's only a bcd and regs, adds gobs of confidence for youngsters.
Good luck, drop us a line if ur interested in rooting thru our equipment or if u two would like to joins Mark and I for a shore dive or two when ur comfortable diving that sort of diving.
Tracy

Bravo!!! It's one of the first things taught to divers but somehow that bit of information tends to go in one ear and out the other. Keep believing in that and you will progress far beyond your peers.

Thanks for your kind words. I guess spending much of my life around water have instilled in me a deep respect for the power of the open water. Now, as I finally got to what I always dreamed about (it's hard to say how many times I've read Jacques-Yves Cousteau's books when I was 8-14, it was many-many-many times, let's put it this way) I am not going to forget everything I learned about water up to now. BTW, on another note, it's interesting that I think I've learned quite a bit from those books. Highly recommend to have junior divers read those, many of the concepts I learned in OW course (and reading about now on this and other boards) were not new to me because of what I remembered from those books:)

Con grads to you and your son. He may be cute now, but pretty soon he will be a teen and not so cute and easy to get along with. Having diving in common will be an activity that binds u and let's you spend time with. I know of what I speak as my son began diving with me at 14 and now that he's 16 it is a precious precious thing to us that we spend time diving together. I tell people that getting wet diving is not my favorite aspect of diving, it's the shared adventure and time spent with family and friends.
Deercreekers Jr and have learned to shore dive and lobster together. I wouldn't trade these times, the talks, the shared laughs (and misery) together for the world.
FYI, we are in the Valencia area and have moved from bcds and standard set ups to bpw and 7 ft hoses, we have our old equipment, including a bcd that might fit ur boy. Need to get rid of it (hubby says it takes up too much space and is just sitting there). Ur welcome to root thru it and see what u can make work for u for probably an astoundingly good price (like come get it and give me a couple hundred bucks for it and it's urs). 3 bcds, 2 sets of regs and whatever else were not using.
FYI-do not buy a wetsuit new for ur kid, Jr went thru several on his way to his 6'1 height now. Although we did buy two used Jr wet suits on scuba board that were a fantastic price so that I didn't mind he only got 6 months use out of each.
That said, owning ur own equipment, even if it's only a bcd and regs, adds gobs of confidence for youngsters.
Good luck, drop us a line if ur interested in rooting thru our equipment or if u two would like to joins Mark and I for a shore dive or two when ur comfortable diving that sort of diving.
Tracy

Oh, thanks you very much for your kind offer. I might take you on it too:) I am in West Hills, not too far at all (at least, by LA standards). Where do you guys dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom