Two Noobs Report on Bonaire...In Detail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the old tire dump area off Yellow Sub was full of life.
Just a couple of inhabitants of the tire dump
Bonairetrip-1-09_411b.jpg

Bonairetrip-1-09_039b.jpg

We followed this little fellow all over Yellow Sub as he fed, and he din't pay us a bit of attention1
Bonairetrip-1-09_069b.jpg

Large Octopus on one of the mooring blocks at YS, and there's a second large fellow, just to the right of this guy, hiding under the block! You can just see a bit of his tenticle.
Bonairetrip-1-09_098b.jpg

To me the signature of Yellow Sub
Bonairetrip-1-09_049b1.jpg

Hi:

I like Eden's Rubble, for working along the rocky formation along shore, when the current is low (you can look at boats off-shore; if they're perpendicular to shore, low current. If they're parallel to it, the current is turning them around, so stay out).

Another thing I like about Eden's Rubble is the option to swim out, swoop down and see the wreck of the Bakanal. It's large enough to be interesting, but small enough to take a 'whole wreck' photo, whereas the Hilma Hooker is too large for me to take one big shot of.

Here are 2 shots of the Bakanal:

IMG_0327-1.jpg

IMG_0335-1.jpg

With the Hilma Hooker, I'd photograph part of a mast, or an anchor. But then again, a group of Tarpon hang out around the HH...

Richard.

Thanks for the pics Gypsyjim!! And now I REALLY can't wait to go back!!

Here's my 2 favs from YS!!

JuvieTrunk-1.jpg

This is who I found hiding in a tire.

Fishyface4.jpg

10 weeks.... I was counting the weeks. After all these pics tonight I'm going to be counting the minutes!:shakehead:

Thanks Tiggrr and Rich! Nice!

Rich, I've been to Bonaire 5, maybe 6 times now, and this evening was the first time I seen mention of Eden's Rubble, first a negative, and then your positive review! On the Hilmer I'm often posing divers on the propeller, as that is a classic pose, or shooting up past the mast to capture the tarpon. Another shot I play with is the captured air from earlier divers escaping the hull. You're right it's a hard wreck for me to photograph in entirety, just bits and pieces, cause I've never been there when the vis was really good enough for longer shots.

Now Eden's on July's list.

Bringing my younger brother and his crew for their first visit, and my two teenage fish can't wait to expose their cousins to Bonaire's great sites, as soon as the cousins complete their OW!

One more thing for you guys to reflect on......isn't it amazing how friendly the fish are?? Its not like Ft Lauderdale where they run from you screaming......

Look how happy he was to see me!!

ParrotFish2.jpg

Sweet34.jpg

They even flirt with you....

Sweet5.jpg

Eden Beach aka rubble also has a new fairly large shipwreck called ?La Concordia? or something. It is South of their mooring buoy by about 5 min in about 80fsw iirc. Ask at the dive shop, and they will tell you.

Thanks for your insight on where you like to dive in Bonaire. I'll be in Bonaire again on June 7 thru the 21st. Can't wait. Counting the days now.
I just got certified in January. Been to Bonaire 4 times but always snorkeled. I did my open water in Bonaire in January and was certified.
I have only dove the Small Wall, and it was really nice.
Hope to try some of the places you mentioned. Hoping for some easy access to some of the sights.

Barb & Rick

Barb, one of the keys to seeing a lot of life in Bonaire and elsewhere is to slooooow down and take in the view. Too often I see divers zooming past like Jaws were after them. Fish do not like big things moving fast, that usually means someone is about to get eaten so they hide or you just miss them altogether. Slowing way down will also increase your bottom time, always a good thing.
Oh and don't zoom past Jim, esp on night dives. He has been know to lecture total strangers about diving too fast. :) (inside joke)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom