Two questions about lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Li-ions are very tricky to charge they need to be charged in a very controlled way and if not they can be very volatile. There are a few companies in Hong Kong making flashlights with them but not dive lights. Here is a link to a web site you can find out more info on lights and batteries athttp://www.candlepowerforums.com//ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Li-ion batteries are also very expensive. Not too mong back I had to replace the battery in my minidisk player. that sucker was almost $75 for a tiny little battery.

I have also checked into buying a second li-ion battery for my cell phone so I could always have one charged and they wanted about $75 for that as well.

With prices like those I would not pay to put that into my dive light risking them being flooded.

Just my thoughts on why they do not put li-batteries in Dive Lights.

Peace,
Mike

I have heard that Lithium batteries have a tendency to explode when exposed to sea water. (Maybe any water)

The lithium strips in the lithium batteries react very violently with water or even moisture from your skin. (It's one of the factors in many meth lab fires/explosions.)

The potential for disaster with a flooded dive light is pretty obvious and an explosion of the battery or light would not be out of the question given the build up of pressure in a sealed system.

Previously I had not thought about storing my main light as I assume that I would always have it in my hand turned on.

But I had my main fail on a night dive at the Great Barrier Reef and had to switch to my back up, I had now way to store the first light.

So I think it is important to think about "what if" you need to store it.

Maybe I could make a pouch out of 2" webbing that the light slides into and mount the pouch on the left behind the D-ring, then have a bolt snap onthe light to clip to the D-ring?

Any thoughts on that idea?

I have for a while been thinking that it would be good to have something on my wrist to clip things to .. like the light or a pointer.

Has anyone else thought about this idea.

I have now real idea how to do this or even if I would do it. There are many reasons not too,... I think about the idea and realise that it can't be metal (to dangerous), cord (not convienant if you tie it each time, and forget cutting it off - way to dangerous), maybe a large "O" ring - then I could break it if needed?

Or maybe if I drop my light I was ment to drop it?

blackice once bubbled...
Previously I had not thought about storing my main light as I assume that I would always have it in my hand turned on.

But I had my main fail on a night dive at the Great Barrier Reef and had to switch to my back up, I had now way to store the first light.

So I think it is important to think about "what if" you need to store it.

Maybe I could make a pouch out of 2" webbing that the light slides into and mount the pouch on the left behind the D-ring, then have a bolt snap onthe light to clip to the D-ring?

Any thoughts on that idea?

A bolt snap is easy to attach to just about any dive light using #24 braided nylon line and allows the light to then be clipped to a D-ring when not in use. A lot of smaller lights incorporate a spring loaded clip. I always remove these as they are not effective in keeping the light in place on a web strap etc, and they just pose a significant snag hazard. A bolt snap is a much better way to go.

There are commerically available wrist lanyards that use a piece of surgical tubing to allow the lanyard to stretch and be easily removed from your wrist if needed. Be advised though, some are not up to snuff and have the line all the way through the tubing which defeats the purpose. (If it does not stretch, don't buy it) You can then attach a bolt snap or ring to this lanyard if you feel you really have to have one. About the only time I use one is with a bolt snap to snap into the box ends of small wrenches I use from time to time when working underwater so they don't get lost if I drop them with my dry gloves.

My primary light is a canister light and I have a bolt snap on the head to keep it in place until needed during the dive. My back up lights are bolt snapped to D-rings on the shoulder straps and the other end of the light is tucked under a piece of rubber tubing where it is easily accessible when needed and yet streamlined and not prone to snagging. I normally do not need to unclip the backup lights when using them. This is also a great technique for a rec diver who wants a day light to carry on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom