Two Scuba divers killed by a speedboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we need a flag with a little more information on it - like a picture of a scuba diver or some words like "diver down - beware" - something more than just a red flag with a white stripe.

didn't read all the threads, but agree that its the main source of concern.

living in So FLorida, and beach diving, I've been there... and also had a near miss when driving (sorry guys, never saw the flag!),

its very hard to see the typicall float flags, you get at most dive stores... just too darn low to see over any type of chop.

I made my own 10' flag from pvc and that helped... also attached a boogey board to the flag to use as a safety and more visuals aids...

the real answer has been the kayak. I put the tank on the back, and tie everything else aboard, and paddle out. have not had a problem since.

the kayak is hard to miss, and the flag helps too...

-very sorry about the accident, but its really hard to see a low float flag, even by an experienced boater and diver. (me).

GODSPEED!

Maybe we need a flag with a little more information on it - like a picture of a scuba diver or some words like "diver down - beware" - something more than just a red flag with a white stripe.

I've got a float with the larger yellow inflatable ring that supports it that says "Diver Below" in big block letters.

It doesn't help, we've had boaters go right over our heads at Union Lake, with some PWCs likely using it for a slalom marker.

Well it'd need to be one held up even without wind. How large of a sign would you need for all that to be seen by a speeding boat or jetski before it's within 100 ft? But then they'd just say that it was turned the wrong direction probly...

one of the big problem is people are not educated I don't know about the state but here in Canada boaters all have to be certified they must fallow a course but i think more should be but on markers flags during courses.

The following is from: Frequently Asked Questions - Office of Boating Safety

"How this applies to operators** of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes Date at which proof of competency required on board

All operators born after April 1, 1983 (date req) September 15, 1999

All operators of craft under 4 m in length, including personal watercraft
(date req)September 15, 2002

All operators (date req)September 15, 2009

TIP: Certificates for boating safety courses completed before April 1, 1999 will be recognized. If you've already taken a course prior to these regulations - and have proof - then that course certificate or card will be accepted as proof of competency!

Proof of competency can take 1 of 3 forms:
proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999;
a pleasure craft operator card issued following the successful completion of a Canadian Coast Guard accredited test;
a completed rental-boat safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats).
The operator card is good-for-life. Boaters can obtain their card after receiving a mark of at least 75% on a Canadian Coast Guard accredited test. "

Sharm incident apparently a polish instructor and another polish person doing a DSD.

Various different stories then as to whether the boat was moving or not and so on. No information as to whether they were towing a SMB or not.

People are campaigning for prop guards there but cant see it happening. The 30%+ increase in fuel needed for one of those alone would put most operators off.

Not sure about egyptian laws but im assuming standard maritime law acts so the standard blue/white alpha flag should at least mean the responsibility is on the boat to avoid the area if the flag is flying. The red/white american dive flag though would have absolutely no legal mandate at all and im fairly sure most people wont even know what it is.

Great info on this thread guys! I'll pay closer attention now!

Scubadiving is the only "self regulated" sports industry in the US, and I think they've done a good job at self regulation.

You forgot about Hang Gliding! Its documented that more fatalities occur using Personal Water Craft than Hang Gliding/Paragliding.

I think even if you towed a surface marker the size of a small car, jetskis and pleasure boats still would not stay away from it. Problem is that half of the people on the water are drunk, and the other half never took boat safety course.

I was on a dive boat that held 22 divers. We went down in two groups. My group was the first down and therefore the first up. While we were switching to a second tank a boat went within a few yards of the dive boat. This was a fairly large boat with HUGE dive flags on it. The boat master yelled at the other boat, "Divers DOWN!!!" since the second group was most likely going to be surfacing any minute (they actually saw the boat and waited).

So, yes, you could have something the size of a large cube van and boaters will still not respect your space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom