Two weeks - Macro Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The logical choice would be PG. But if you want something different then Subic is the next nearest. The beauty of either PG or Subic is that you are not missing any dive time because of "no flying" penalty.

Puerta Galera seems like a good second location. Centrals- which would you do first?

Thanks.

You know, for two places that are so close together, the topside environment couldn't be more different. The diving is really pretty similar, with perhaps a slight nod to Anilao for macro opportunities, but really they are a lot alike. You have a diverse range of diving options in both places, and a generalized lack of big fish, but that is true of most of the Philippines. Topside, things change pretty drastically. Anilao is all isolated all inclusive resorts, and moving around from your home base is pretty difficult. The entire area is on the side of a mountain, and lots of stairs predominate almost everywhere. There is no beach to speak of, unless the resort has tried to create one (pretty rare, although Eagle Point did a credible job in making a nearby island a beach retreat for their guests...see my report on them for details). The pricing structure at Anilao is biased towards a group rather than for singles or pairs, but that has been discussed to death here already. Over at Sabang/PG, pretty much anything goes. You have a plethora of dive resorts and dive operators laid out all along the shoreline (although again there is no beach unless you go waaay out on the west end to someplace like Coco Beach) and a dizzying variety of restaurants of all types and prices. You can go all inclusive at your resort, but there is so much else to choose from all around you. You can partake of the nightlife if such is your inclination, but the farther west you go along the shoreline, the less partying and such you will find. Pretty much everything west of El Galleon is dead quiet at night, but really, you almost have to get all the way east into Sabang proper before you really run into the noise and such. I have an extensive report on this place also.
To me, the big advantage of these two places is world class diving with about the easiest access you will find in the Philippines. You fly into Manila, and then it is relatively short ground (and sea, for PG) transport and you are there! I know of few other places in the Philippines which are as easy to reach. As to which first? Boy, that is a tossup. As I said, they are very different, and you may want to get the action of Sabang out of your system first, and finish up with the isolation of Anilao. Or, you may get fed up with the remoteness and seclusion of Anilao, and want the liveliness of Sabang afterwards. It is all up to you, and again, the diving is pretty similar. You won't go wrong with the diving either place, and Sabang has the added attraction of Verde Island trips for those experienced with currents and such. (Man, it's just gorgeous out there, and crawling with fish, but hang onto your hat, cause it can get wild over there.) Again, it's your choice, and you will do well either way, IMHO. Good luck, Woody

Hi All.

I give up!!! Diving on Anilao is just too expensive. Is Puerta Galera close enough in quality? It seems far more reasonable. Is there another area worth hitting up nearby?

Thanks.

We split a trip between Atlantis PG and Atlantis Dumaguete, and really enjoyed that. PG was almost all reef diving (gorgeous reefs) with some muck in the bay at night. Dumaguete was mostly muck diving and weird and wonderful critters, with the trips out to App Island adding gorgeous corals and reef life to the mix.

The downside is that you have to budget an entire day to get from one place to the other.

TSandM,

Can you give me an idea of your itinerary and transportation?

Thanks.

Hi All.

I give up!!! Diving on Anilao is just too expensive. Is Puerta Galera close enough in quality? It seems far more reasonable. Is there another area worth hitting up nearby?

Thanks.
Have you checked Buceo dive resorts prices? they don't have the traditional Anilao fee structure which for a single diver or couple can really add up. A 16 dive package will only run $560 which is $35 a tank and no add ons like guide fees, boat fees, etc. The rooms are pretty reasonable for the Anilao area also, I'll be paying $120 night double occupancy.

Hi All.
You are NOT the only one who felt this way on the cost for a single diver in Anilao.
PG offers completely different type of diving than Anilao. I do know divers who were more than happy to spend 2 wks diving in PG alone.
Visayas is your other option. But you need to fly to Cebu(Malapascua, Moalboal) or Dumaguete(Apo Island, Siquijor) or Tagbilaran(Bohol) or Tacloban(Southern Leyte) first depend on your final destination.
My suggestion is: Try to dive Anilao on the weekend so you might have other divers to share the cost of the boat and DM!!!!
If you are feeling adventurous then you can travel from PG to Pandan Island for the trip to Apo Reef. But you will need two days for the round trip though.
Subic is fine if you like wrecks but Coron is so much better.
Diving in PG is pretty economical. Budget but reputable operators in PG are: Frontier, Sea Ride and South Sea just to name a few.

Hi all. This thread has been very helpful.

I'm travelling with my husband, so at least I have him to share costs with- Buceo is looking like a good option. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled by the previous places I've been.

I have seen a lot of dive safaris offered, (rather than live aboards) offered by local shops. Anyone done these?

Thanks.

Asia Divers is pretty good over at PG, and cost is reasonable too, at least you can stay at El Galeon B&B and eat at other places if you feel like it. When I stayed at Atlantis is was all full board, and more expensive than Crystal Blue at Anilao. However the accommodation at Atlantis is much better than both Crystal Blue and Asia Divers.

Personally I like the peace and quiet of Anilao. On my last trip there in 2013 I and my own boat and dive guide and no dive time restrictions, most dives were between 80 and 90 minutes. The dive guide was finding more nudibranchs than I could manage to photograph on one occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom