Two weeks - Macro Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a change of pace, we are starting our two week trip in late March of this year with a week on the RAGS II liveaboard, which is based right there in Puerto Galera, and then a week in Sabang/PG. The RAGS II is the most accessible liveaboard in the Philippines, and one of the most reasonably priced also. We will get direct transfer from Manila to the boat at the start of this little expedition, and then they will ferry us over to Sabang beach at the start of the second half. You don't get much more convenient than that, at least not in the Philippines. The RAGS II will visit the wrecks in Coron, and then over to Apo Reef. This should be a nice counterpoint to the Sabang diving. Just another option to consider, and, as usual, I will be posting an exhaustive review on all this afterwards.

Subic is an option if you like wrecks, but I think I dived most of the major wrecks there in a few days doing 4 dives a day. Coron is better wreck diving. Having said that, there are some very historic wrecks in Subic Bay and I feel definitely worth doing once. Conditions when I went weren't the best... not the caliber of PG, Anilao, Malpascua, or other areas you could dive, so just be aware of that. Of course maybe it was just a bad week :wink: We have some people on the board who are based in Subic who are better qualified to answer that.

You could easily spend the whole two weeks at Puerto Galera. That certainly is an option. I've also dived with Asia Divers and can recommend them as well. PADI scuba diving Puerto Galera. Dive Puerto Galera philippines.. There are plenty of choices though. Lots of reputable operators in PG that fit any budget.

You can fly to Cebu and include Malpascua Island. Good diving there and pretty much a guarantee of sighting thresher sharks :wink: That's an experience I always enjoy every time I go back to Malapascua (3 visits so far) :) In Malapascua I can recommend Evolution Diving Resort in Malapascua, Cebu, Philippines Malapascua is a much more laid back vibe in my opinion, and they do have a very nice white sand beach :wink:

If you decide on Dauin/Dumaguete I can recommend Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines Great muck diving there :)

Sogod Bay was mentioned and although its a little further to get too, it's also worth considering. I consider the night dive at Padre Burgos Pier to be one of the best dives I've ever made in the Philippines (almost 200 dives there)! It's a little late for whale sharks, but you might get lucky :wink: It will cost you another dive day and has more "logistical" challenges. There I can recommend Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte

The main issue will be flights and having to remain out of the water for 24 hours before flying. If planned right though, you could probably keep that to only a couple of days. If you opt for Sogod Bay, you'll have a long ferry ride in both directions, although there may be an airport you can fly into. Again, "logistics"... it's getting flight schedules, ferry schedules, etc... to match up. I think it should be doable though. Really though whatever option you decide on, I believe you'll have an awesome trip :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom