TX1 Dive Computer - any reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to replace my first dive computer (Suunto Zoop) with an air integrated computer. The TX1 looks like more computer than I need, but it is also quite affordable. Any thoughts on this computer? How conservative is it with regards to deco alarms? My Zoop is too conservative for my tastes, now that I am not quite as much as an air hog as I was when I started. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

please remember that mfg subforums are for responses directly from the manufacturers. I have asked a mod to move it out of this so we can speak more freely about it.

Why do you think the Zoop is too conservative? What are you basing this on? Do you understand that algorithm it uses and why you think you would want to adjust it? What conservatism do you think it should have? Why did you choose the TX1? What other computers are you looking at? What features do you want out of said computer?

too many questions. The generic answer is the tx1 is a perfectly adequate computer for damn near any diver. It does not offer full flexibility in choosing your decompression profile like other computers, and since the company that makes it which was formerly a division of AUP *Hollis parent company* and is now under Aqualung, I would be hesitant to purchase any of those computers at the current moment. I don't doubt Hollis will support them, but with too many questions left unanswered above, and the inability to suggest other options in this subforum, I can't make any better suggestions

I got into deco while in Cozumel (according to the Zoop), while other divers were able to stay at the same depth much longer. This was a second dive of the day, but the other divers were down longer than me on the first dive. I am lucky if I can stay down for 50 minutes on a 100 cf tank. I have been more of a hoover in the past, but I am getting better.

On a recent dive in Turks and Caicos, the dive master looked at my dive computer and told me it was the most conservative computer in the market with regards to decompression. These two experiences, plus some reading on the web are what I am basing it on.

As for features, air integrated and a more liberal algorithm is what's important right now. I would like one that can also grow with me, as my experience and skills grow.

If the manufacturer can refer me to reviews of the product, I welcome it. Google produces almost nothing in this regard.

Why is that the "only" option you would consider?

I think tbone is suggesting the DG03 because the TX1 is more than you require and at a higher price point. The things you will give up are 3 more gases, TRIMIX and adjustable GF. The TX1 costs $550 without a transmitter. The DG03 costs $498 with a transmitter.

You don't mention the type of diving you intend to do in the future and the Deco obligation on the Zoop is your main computer complaint.

The mid Bühlmann ZHL-16C setting will be a vast improvement on what you were experiencing before. Being able to adjust your GF can be beneficial and dangerous. Just because a computer says you did not go into deco, does not mean your body agrees. Being able to adjust the GF adds an element of danger that maybe many people are not ready for. Myself included.

I own a Geo 2.0, TX1 and a Perdix and know that both the Perdix and TX1 computers exceed my dive theory knowledge to utilize them fully. When I purchased the TX1, I was not aware that the DG03 existed. I would have gotten the DG03 instead of the TX1.

Edit: Updated the 3 more gases the TX1 can switch between vice the DG03.

Why is that the "only" option you would consider?

I think he was saying that this thread was in the Hollis manufacturer subforum (I gather?). The rules for that forum prevented him from making other suggestions.

MY suggestion is to read this thread:

So you want to buy a new computer?

There's good info there on the different computers out there and which ones will let you stay down longer than a Zoop.

My personal thoughts are:

If you're going to use it for Recreational Sport diving (as opposed to Technical diving, which is still Recreational), then you should buy a recreational computer - not a tech computer. Especially since you want wireless air integration. There is no tech computer out right now that has air integration that I would buy anyway.

Pretty much any recreational computer available nowadays will support Nitrox up to 40%. 40% is the max you can use in Nitrox for recreational diving anyway. So, computers that advertise 50% or 99%, or 100% oxygen are giving you marketing fluff. If you're just doing recreational sport diving, you will never have a use for anything higher than 40%.

Some computers advertise that they support multiple gases. Again, I think that is marketing fluff. Recreational sport diving is, by definition, only using one gas. If you use two gases on one dive, you have moved into technical diving. Some people say that having multi gas support lets you configure, for example, 2 different gases in the computer and then easily pick whichever one you're using on a particular dive, instead of having to actually set the FO2 (Fraction of Oxygen). In other words, set the FO2 twice and then never have to set it again. I don't know about other computers, but on my recreational computer, it's just as easy to set the FO2 each time I use a different gas as it is to choose between gas 1, 2, or 3. So, as I said, I think multi-gas support is marketing fluff in a recreational sport diving computer.

And ALL the recreational sport diving computers have proprietary algorithms. Mostly, they are all BASED on published algorithms. But, "based" on them does not mean they implement them exactly. The only computers that fully implement known algorithms are tech diving computers (which also support multiple gases and Nitrox up to 99% plus 100% Oxygen).

So, if it's important to you to use a recreational sport diving computer that will allow you longer NDLs, all you can really do is check the NDL charts provided by the computer manufacturers and also look at reviews and lab tests to get an idea of which ones give longer NDLs and which ones are more conservative.

Beyond that, you're really just choosing based on price, other features (like wireless AI, Gauge mode, etc.), form factor (size) and looks.

TX1 looks good for the money in my opinion. However, the watch sized screen would be a deal breaker for me.

For $125 more you can get a scubapro Galileo Luna with transmitter (in stores, there is an "automatic" 10% discount that doesn't get offered online). Galileo has a much larger screen.

Tx1 has working PC downloads via wired USB cable, where Galileo has a currently broken IRDA system (broken on modern computers running win10).

If you can live with the small screen, it really sounds like a nice computer on the spec sheet.

FREEDOM! ok we're now in the right forum.

Galileo I'd be concerned about considering Scubapro just purchased Seabear, so lord only knows what that will end up like, but either way, if you require wireless AI, then the DG03 is still the only computer I'd look at. 3 gas, full decompression, $500 with transmitter, it's the best deal out there. You don't need anything more and unless you spend upwards of $2k you can't get away from the Casio style screen, so you may as well just buy the cheap one that is still every bit as good of a computer as the TX1, just with a few less gas mixes.

If you get to a point where you are diving trimix, you'll want something infinitely better than the TX1 like the Shearwater Perdix anyway, but that doesn't have AI

I own several DG03s which I gave to my sons and just bought a TX1 to stay in the Hollis family. The DG03 is a great recreational computer that can do a fair amount of tech (multi-gas, high %O2, etc) The two I've given to my sons are rock solid, only failure was when I was doing a software upgrade and Hollis fixed computer in a couple weeks. I like that it shares transmitters with a lot of other computers, such as my wife's Atom, Aeris VTX, and DG05. The user replaceable battery also saved a dive for us this month.

The TX1 adds cost and complexity, its less suited for recreational diving than the DG03 is. Only recreationally useful feature is the integrated compass. I'd suggest going with a DG03 if you can get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom