U-352, North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a great VHS video of the interior of the U352. IT was shot back in 1987 I think. It's kind of grainy and the audio isn't fantastic but it does show some great interior/exterior views of the sub, including full penetration the full length of the sub. Probably couldn't do that kind of penetration now due to the sub sinking into the bottom and filling with even more sand (it's pretty full in some places on the video 16 years ago). If any one is interested email me zerogravity@cavediver.net. Send me a VHS tape and I'll make you a copy..just pay postage each way :)

spectre

maybe you can answer this for me. I was wondering what the average run time was on the 352, and is it standard to run doubles , because there is a person in the dallas area that runs trips out to the graveyard that runs the trips and has options of alum 80s or lp 100, or 120's (air or 28%) singles. what i was wondering is this a standard options for a trip and normally what type of training is recommeneded or required for NC trips

Thanks in advance

Scubatooth once bubbled...
maybe you can answer this for me. I was wondering what the average run time was on the 352, and is it standard to run doubles

I've only been out there with Olympus, but it's my understanding that there aren't many boats out there that allow deco diving. You can get away with a little if you get in first [I was doing 30-40 minute ascents and not holding anyone up]. However they probably aren't going to let you jump in with O2 to deco off of.

My run time this year was 23 minutes at depth, 43 minutes total run. I dove single AL 100s last year, single HP 120s this year; and still had plenty of gas leftover after getting on the boat. I will tell you, 20 minutes is all it really takes to get a good look at the wreck; it's not that big.

what i was wondering is this a standard options for a trip and normally what type of training is recommeneded or required for NC trips

I know Olympus rents AL 100s and AL 80s. A lot of the folks in the group I went with were diving doubles; but there was quite a few with singles. You will definately need AOW; and I would highly recommend nitrox. I'm not sure of the other shops, but Olympus banks 30% which is perfect for most of the recreational wrecks out there.

Olympus says that no deco diving is allowed. However, if the sub is on your second dive, be the first ones in and the last ones out.
i used my 100% sling for my saftey stops. Its shallow so bottom time could be long. we had an almost hour long run on it.
All of us were wearing doubles.
But were just a bunch of rowdy north east divers.
Yeah and they also ask that you dive with a buddy.

As far as penetration goes they dont reccomend it, you can check there website for information and policys.

Penetration is possiable you just have to be clever.

The captain is usually the first in the water for all the U-352 dives...... He has lots of info that he might share with you about getting in easier and hes the one that rediscoverd it. His artifact collection in his shop is incredible.

Only one piece of exposed live ordinance, a large depth charge off to the side of the sub. USN took the rest.

Other than that its a great dive.

Spectre once bubbled...

I've only been out there with Olympus, but it's my understanding that there aren't many boats out there that allow deco diving. You can get away with a little if you get in first [I was doing 30-40 minute ascents and not holding anyone up]. However they probably aren't going to let you jump in with O2 to deco off of.

My run time this year was 23 minutes at depth, 43 minutes total run. I dove single AL 100s last year, single HP 120s this year; and still had plenty of gas leftover after getting on the boat. I will tell you, 20 minutes is all it really takes to get a good look at the wreck; it's not that big.

I know Olympus rents AL 100s and AL 80s. A lot of the folks in the group I went with were diving doubles; but there was quite a few with singles. You will definately need AOW; and I would highly recommend nitrox. I'm not sure of the other shops, but Olympus banks 30% which is perfect for most of the recreational wrecks out there.
you definately can get away with short decos especially if you get in first.. you may get the lecture we don't do deco diving here.. but its sort ofwa wink wink warning since they don't prevent you prom doing any of your other planned dives..
just don't be a smart a**.. one guy in our group a few years back responded to the captains lectur.. "were not deco diving just doing 45 minute safety stops!" the captain did not appreciate this..

of not doing deco dives off a large charter boat is the safety issue, and not anybody's aversion to deco diving. On request Olympus will take tec charters and do deep / deco / mix trip, but it out of necessity needs to be the whole boat, not just some of the divers.

The problem could be if there was an accident or emergency on board for which the boat needed to go back to the beach. If there was a diver recall issued and some divers were not able to come directly up (safety stop aside) but were obligated to 30 min or an hour of deco, then a whole new set of problems arise.

Diversauras once bubbled...
of not doing deco dives off a large charter boat is the safety issue, and not anybody's aversion to deco diving. On request Olympus will take tec charters and do deep / deco / mix trip, but it out of necessity needs to be the whole boat, not just some of the divers.

The problem could be if there was an accident or emergency on board for which the boat needed to go back to the beach. If there was a diver recall issued and some divers were not able to come directly up (safety stop aside) but were obligated to 30 min or an hour of deco, then a whole new set of problems arise.

I agree, and thats the main reason why you can get away with short decos.. a dive boat spending a few extra minutes on site doesn't make a difference.. if there is a need for air evac the short extra time a boat stays on site is really negligable compared to the speed of a helicopter.. The coast guard always finds out if there are additional diver in the water and adjusts plan accordingly..

also even if there IS divers on the wreck if the boats is properly prepared, its easy enough to hook the anchor line to a buoy, leave the site and come back after meeting the coast guard or taking care of something that required leaving the site for a short period.

I know I have been on boats up here (NY) that comming up the anchor line there was no longer any boat.. The deco was completed and all of us waited for the boat to return..

and I would love to know what exposure suit to wear. I dive off the coast of New Jersey in the summer in a full 7mm wet suit with hood and gloves. Should I wear the same for NC or buy a 3mm wet suit? Hood? gloves? any advice would be appreciated.

I'd recommend a full 3mm suit. you probably won't need the hood or gloves, but I'd get a pair of thin reef gloves, for protection, if nothing else. It can be very easy to get cut on the jagged rusted metal... Water should be close to high 70s if I had to guess. You'll likely be uncomfortably warm in a full 7mm suit. If it's a 2-piece 7mm, you may be able to get away with just the shorty and avoid spending the $$.

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom