U-352 on Deep Sea Detectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for the insite on the program tonight. I dove the U-352 last oct. my pic's didnt turn-out either so it will be nice to see her again!. some people i dove with said it was just a big pipe on the seafloor but i didnt look at it like that Its HISTORY.

Mike

Thanks boys, I'm always the last to know.

Is that the same show here in Canada???

I got to watch the episode. It was pretty good. after having dove the wreck several times it was nice to see the inside of the U-boat other than sticking my head in one of the hatches...

my pic's didnt turn-out either so it will be nice to see her again!.
Same here Every time I have dove the U-352 either my pics didn't come out or I just forgot the camera on the boat.

Damn work. If it was on in Canada, I had to miss it. Uhg, between my bad memory, work and living in Canada, it's no wonder I get to see anything :-(

I like the show. I watch it every chance I get. However, I think the plot lines are a little too contrived. They seem to go to great lengths to establish a "mystery" that they must dive to solve. I mean, doess anyone really think they could, on 2 short dives, fully answer the question of why the sub crew surrendered? After 60+ years on the bottom, and from the state of the diesel engines and the control room, it didn't look to me like they were actually able to determine what state these were in when the battle occurred.

How did Chatterton know that the gravity fuel tank fell from one end of the overhead during the battle and not sometime during the 60 years on the bottom? I don't think they discovered anything different from what was already known from the sub crew and the cutter crew's reports.

The dive planning segment was quite short and weak. "I'll go to this end, you go to the control room. If anything bad happens we'll pull the plug and get out of there."

But the show's title mandates that they "solve" something. It would be better to just dive the wrecks because they are there and use the show to cover the history of the ship and its sinking.

Charlie19:
I like the show. I watch it every chance I get. However, I think the plot lines are a little too contrived. They seem to go to great lengths to establish a "mystery" that they must dive to solve. I mean, doess anyone really think they could, on 2 short dives, fully answer the question of why the sub crew surrendered? After 60+ years on the bottom, and from the state of the diesel engines and the control room, it didn't look to me like they were actually able to determine what state these were in when the battle occurred.

How did Chatterton know that the gravity fuel tank fell from one end of the overhead during the battle and not sometime during the 60 years on the bottom? I don't think they discovered anything different from what was already known from the sub crew and the cutter crew's reports.

The dive planning segment was quite short and weak. "I'll go to this end, you go to the control room. If anything bad happens we'll pull the plug and get out of there."

But the show's title mandates that they "solve" something. It would be better to just dive the wrecks because they are there and use the show to cover the history of the ship and its sinking.

completely agree

Charlie19:
I like the show. I watch it every chance I get. However, I think the plot lines are a little too contrived. They seem to go to great lengths to establish a "mystery" that they must dive to solve...

...But the show's title mandates that they "solve" something. It would be better to just dive the wrecks because they are there and use the show to cover the history of the ship and its sinking.

I agree completely. The S-5 episode was even worse as there was absolutely no mystery whatsoever to resolve given that every thing was disclosed and known at the board of inquiry hearing.

With the U-352 episode I was a bit offended that they questioned the survior's recollections as they were 60 years old. It does not get any better than a first person account and even 60 years will not normally dim what was probably one of the most memorable events in the survivors life. If I were the U-boat survivor, Chatterton would have been spitting out some teeth.

A dive on the U-352 may have been educational in 1941 to maybe 1950 something, but after 60 years on the bottom you are not likely to be able to discern what was damaged in the attack and was has been damaged by 60 years in salt water. The idea of being able to determine if the electric motors would have been operational or not was just plain stupid, you would have had problems determining that the day after it was sunk.

The dives on both episodes woud have been better spent examining the wrecks to display them for the television audience and where appropriate to highlight highlight historical features of the wreck. The S-5 for example was believed to have lost a dive plane in the initial towing/slavage attempt by the USS Ohio and that would have made an interesting dive. Far more interesting and instructive than trying to squeeze into the tiller room on a home made rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom