U-352 on Deep Sea Detectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They also made a point of the damaged valves in the control room. From what I understand those are among the things that divers a tearing off to display at home.

I don't like the show. they, IMO, make tech divers look like stupid clowns.

Did my eyes trick me or were they scooting through the sub in this last show with single tanks and no redundancy at all? Like I said...stupid clowns.

This is my first post but had to chime in on the show. What really gets me is they called thier dive a "Solo" dive when one went to the control room and the other went to the tiller room. Did they forget they had camera men/women with them? I am new to scuba but I think the guy with the camera would classify as a buddy. Almost makes you think that they think we are all dummies.

butch

They do seem a little off, but the show is still interesting. And we all need to remember that their show is supposed to appeal to the general public, not just tech divers (too few tekkies, so very low ratings)...I think they try to make the show look like it's live, no cameras to draw the audience in...I could be wrong...hopefully not too many will follow their example and will get properly trained, which, I still am not.

I think it looks cooler when you don't know the technical details of what it takes to do the dives. I also read somewhere that they only show one or two of the total dives they do on each wreck they feature. On the B-29 Bomber in Lake Mead, they actually did a dozen or so dives. The show makes it seem like they only did 2.

Still, it's most sad that the show will soon come to an end, I would assume, with the death of Norwood last month. The show is still on History Channel on Tuesday nights at 9pm in my neck of the woods.

MikeFerrara:
Did my eyes trick me or were they scooting through the sub in this last show with single tanks and no redundancy at all? Like I said...stupid clowns.

I've not seen the show yet, but I think someone mentioned to me they were running single tanks, with a same sized single stage.

I've not gotten in that wreck yet, but the folks I've been with that have gone in have always *****ed about how tight of a fit it is with doubles to get in the hatches, it's possible that they felt a staged tank for redundancy would be a better choice for getting in and around. *shrug* I don't know if I agree, but I've not tried to squeeze my 130s through that damn hole yet.

Chatterton usually has a rebreather and Norwood does doubles, but I don't recall from this particular episode...

MikeFerrara:
They also made a point of the damaged valves in the control room. From what I understand those are among the things that divers a tearing off to display at home.

To the untrained eye, these guys actually make tech diving look exciting! And when friends come over and see my doubles next to the bookshelf in my livingroom, they are actually excited with questions about the shows and tech diving.

So I believe the programs on History Channel are having their desired marketing effect for cable TV. Not everyone watching History Channel is an underwater rocket scientist like present company.

What is tech diving really? A long cold descent into murky waters, a gloomy search normally in vain, followed by and even longer and tedious deco period.

How much more exciting if at all would it be to watch a bunch of DIRFs or DIRtecs do it any other way?? So what??

MikeFerrara:

[now that I've watched it]. They went in with the rental nitrox tanks from Olympus Dive Center, they had one backmounted, and one staged rigged, and they must have clipped it off outside the wreck somewhere. They doffed their rig and went in no mount, Kohler down the coning tower hatch and Chatterton in the torpedo loading hatch [both are very tight squeezes].

MikeFerrara:

Did my eyes trick me or were they scooting through the sub in this last show with single tanks and no redundancy at all?

And they purposely seperated from each other. I thought that was a bit strange.

Spectre:
[now that I've watched it]. They went in with the rental nitrox tanks from Olympus Dive Center, they had one backmounted, and one staged rigged, and they must have clipped it off outside the wreck somewhere. They doffed their rig and went in no mount, Kohler down the coning tower hatch and Chatterton in the torpedo loading hatch [both are very tight squeezes].

Its definately alot easier the way they did it.. Last time I went inside that wreck I had my double 98s which I has to push in first and follow them through (I'm way too big with gear on) .. putting everything back on was a PITA just to take them off again... a single tank with a simple BC would have been much faster..

padiscubapro:
Its definately alot easier the way they did it.. <snip>a single tank with a simple BC would have been much faster..

I just seems to me that being in a tight, confined space like they were would be one of those times redudancy would be really good idea.

Back
Top Bottom