U-Boat July 3rd and 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out on the 3rd and 4th to the U-Boat aboard a new charter boat called the Explorer out of Snug Harbor in Narragansett, RI. Conditions on the 3rd we absolutely perfect with calm seas and about 20+ feet of visibility at the bottom! Conditions on the 4th were not quite the same but all things considered still decent with 10-15 feet of vis. The boat itself is extremely comfortable with all the amenities of home (it is in fact the owner's home while in RI). The crew was very knowledgeable and friendly and could keep you entertained with great stories for hours! Gearing up on it was a bit of a challenge but manageable. The crew and owner recognize this and are taking thoughtful steps to remediate.

During the trip, soft drinks and snacks were provided. If comfort and amenities are important to you this is an excellent boat (the forward bunks make for a great cat nap on the voyage in). This is certainly not a cattle boat! If however you are budget conscious the list price for the charter ($150) may shy you away. All in all I had a great long weekend diving with this boat and look forward to more trips aboard her in the future.

Is it $150 for just the U-boat trip or for ALL trips?

I was also on board the 3rd and 4th, great people and great diving. Capt. Dave and crew were very helpful and knowlegable of the U853 and other sites they plan on diving. I will definatly be back.
Pat B

Gents,

We really appreciate the kind comments, and it was great to have you aboard. Aboard EXPLORER, we are attempting to change the way dive boats are run: We actually want you to be comfortable and have a good time (imagine that!). We did have a great time too.

Charter costs vary according to destination, but $150 is the baseline. EXLORER is not a cattle car, it's a private yacht outfitted for diving and is run using the best practices I have learned running and working aboard North-East dive boats since 1974. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"? It was amusing to watch "the other boat" tied up alongside us with nothing but a plastic bucket for a head, while we enjoyed our day out on the ocean in teak and brass luxury (yeah, I'm proud of my boat!) To each his own, but we cater to divers and consider them the most important thing aboard, not a paying annoyance.

Respectfully,

Dave Sutton, Master
Expedition Trawler EXPLORER
cell (908) 752-1853

Dave Sutton:
Gents,

We really appreciate the kind comments, and it was great to have you aboard. Aboard EXPLORER, we are attempting to change the way dive boats are run: We actually want you to be comfortable and have a good time (imagine that!). We did have a great time too.

Charter costs vary according to destination, but $150 is the baseline. EXLORER is not a cattle car, it's a private yacht outfitted for diving and is run using the best practices I have learned running and working aboard North-East dive boats since 1974. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"? It was amusing to watch "the other boat" tied up alongside us with nothing but a plastic bucket for a head, while we enjoyed our day out on the ocean in teak and brass luxury (yeah, I'm proud of my boat!) To each his own, but we cater to divers and consider them the most important thing aboard, not a paying annoyance.

I was on the boat with the bucket and you guys keep us amused also.

I was on the boat with the bucket and you guys keep us amused also.

Damn, now I've got to clean coffee spray off of the monitor again!:coffee:

I did offer "The Other Boat Captain" (who is a friend) the opportunity to send over his passengers for a hot shower, a crapping-opportunity in a flush toilet, free food and drinks, and a chance to get away from his cigar smoke, but he declined. We *all* know it's because they would never have swum back to his boat and it'e embarassing to take 4 out and only bring home the Captain and Mate....... ;-). After they left I set another mooring on the sub, so now there's room for two large-ish boats on the wreck.

We're still taking names for next weekend's 3-pack: U- Boat on Saturday AM, Night Dive Saturday night, and Grecian/Idene on Sunday. Going to be a GREAT weekend. Join us!

Best to all, now get out and dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom