U/w camera after each dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Ikelite makes a great product, IMO.
I agree.

catherine96821:
I wish the ports weren't clip on, I have had some close calls with those getting bumped.
Me too. The large dome ports screw in rather than using the clips. Or at least the ones I've seen do.

I check my clips before every dive. It's part of my pre-dive check list.

catherine96821:
I stash my camera in a round rubbermaid tub in the car, with towels or a wet suit supporting it. I like using neoprene (extra wetsuit) to absorb shock on rough boat rides.
I put mine on the back seat, or in a large rubbermaid (rectangular) piled on top of the neoprene.

I never leave it in the rinse tub on a boat, no matter how nice it is. But I might dunk it. Or I might not.

On the boat it lives in a milk crate on a piece of foam and wrapped in a towel. Once home it gets put in a big plastic box of warm water for a rinse. Then I use the shower to rinse it off and then it gets dried.

If I am traveling and don't have my crate, Walmart has a great soft-sided cooler (I think mine was $6) that WILL fit my dslr rig - even if I have the big ol' dome on. So that becomes my storage and rinse bucket.

When I return to the shore in between dives, I just make sure I put it somewhere out of the sun.
It travels in the car on the floor behind the driver's seat (it can't fall any futher than the floor) and is supported by softer objects to prevent it from moving.
When at home, I fill a bucket and leave it to soak for a couple of hours making sure I press all the buttons. Then I lay it out on a towel and dry before opening it.
The only thing I just realized I have been laxed at doing is replacing the lens cap. I first started out putting it back on as soon as I am finished with it, maybe during the safety stop, but I have not been doing that recently. Sometimes not getting it on until I was putting it in the truck. Not good.... have to fix that.

[QUOTE=Fastmarc
When at home, I fill a bucket and leave it to soak for a couple of hours making sure I press all the buttons.
============================================

Question for you. Presuming that the housing is air/water tight, what would pressing all the buttons do ?? Not suggesting that it isn't a wise practice but wondering why you do it.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

Footslogger:
Question for you. Presuming that the housing is air/water tight, what would pressing all the buttons do ?? Not suggesting that it isn't a wise practice but wondering why you do it.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

I also press all of the buttons, and slide anything slide-able. This is because if you notice, water can accumulate behind the buttons. Even though they are air tight, the buttons are most often spring actuated, and leave room for water buildup behind them... especially so with the ikelite housings (that I've seen) - pushing the buttons a few times, purges the salt from behind the buttons - otherwise, you'd find that you can have salt residue around your buttons.

Yep, Howarde pretty much summed it up.
When I was drying it for the first time following the fresh water soak, I happened to press a button and saw some water run out of it. I tasted it and sure enough, it was salty, so I started pressing the buttons during the soak.

dbh:
In all of these scenarios, when my diving is done, I soak everything VERY good in a sink or bathtub. I disassemble it all and spread it out on a towel to dry before packing it back in a Pelican 1520 case.

HTH,
Dave

Hijack! How much gear can you get in the 1520 case. I just got one, and if I remove the handles I can get the housing and a strobe in the case, not much else. Or I could go with the housing and my 8" dome port, not much else.

I have a larger case, I'd have to look at the model. I like the 1520 because I can get in it a duffel without issues. Downside, no way can it fit the housing, ports, and strobes.

In a 1610 I can load:

Ikelite housing with handles and port attached
Strobe and arm
three lenses
Canon 20d body
Charger and spare battery

If I utilize the third layer I can probable add in my Canon video camera and various paraphenalia.

It also has wheels and a collapsable handle.

Mike

sunkarm:
Okay... we know what sorts of case we should put for our expensive camera such as in Pelican case. But the real question is, where do u put the dive camera after each dive or betwwen dives as the camera is wet and salty? Do u put it back in the camera case in that condition? Do u dry it? or ....?

Thx

After scratching the crap out of my 8" dome port, I no longer leave my rig in a rinse bucket. I'm still not sure if the scratching happened just in the rinse bucket, but I think some of it did. Fortunately it does not effect the images UW. Unfortunately if I ever get good at OverUnder shots (those are SOOO hard to get right!) I may have nice lines in the topside portion.

On a boat, I now rinse my camera, and then store it somewhere out of the way between dives but not in the shared rinse bucket. I like the soft cooler idea! I even have one that would be perfect, but I'm just not sure how much more STUFF I can travel with!

Once done diving for the day I rinse the housing well, press the buttons and all that jazz. If I'm done diving for the trip, I give it a very good soaking and cleaning before packing it up. Cleaning involves water, and a soft cloth.

mikerault:
In a 1610 I can load:

Ikelite housing with handles and port attached
Strobe and arm
three lenses
Canon 20d body
Charger and spare battery

If I utilize the third layer I can probable add in my Canon video camera and various paraphenalia.

It also has wheels and a collapsable handle.

Mike

So you check your camera gear? I'm thinking I'll check my UW stuff (housing, strobes, ports), but don't like to check my camera's or lenses.

Thanks, I'll have to look at the 1610. I have a large Pelican case that I had cutout for weddings when I was using multiple formats, and such. I could use that if I got new foam, and it would likely fit everything. It would also be my second check bag, and that would limit me to some degree. Boy I get tired of buying stuff I already own because of things like wheels, and retracting handles! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom