UK wreck death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the stages of drowning are that you sink first, so he could have spit his reg during the convulsions, a drown diver will sink like a rock even more than just an unconsious one. Either way my best wishes to those who survived him.

Doppler once bubbled...
surprising how many incidents of toxed divers or unconscious divers begin -- and too often end -- with the stricken diver sinking. I think it's a function of passing out with less than "normal" vital volume... and perhaps also relaxing suddenly... time to do some experiements in the water this weekend!DD

Not trying to be confrontational here, but the real life game is to not tox in the first place. Keep your bottom gas PO2 lower, especially if you are going to deco at higher Po2's, and break to lower Po2's during deco. If you are felling adventurous, experiment with lower instead of higher O2 exposure. The consequences are much less life threatening.

I agree with the last poster. The idea is to not tox, and to have your buddy watching you during deco. We don't know enough about this case, but if I saw my buddy floating down below me I'd be after him before you can say "bob's your uncle", with my backup reg in my mouth so as not to tox myself.

The people I dive with do likewise. In fact, I remember a dive a long time ago where I had buoyancy problems and kept sinking down to about 25 fsw. As soon as I did my buddy was giving me the sign to come up. Not that it was necessary, I was already working on it, but it shows that he was paying attention and watching me.

Jon lines are a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. They screw with your attitude in the water. If someone pulls on the anchor line you'll be pulled down. If there is some problem on the boat you may get pulled up. Since you usually have more than one team, you now have at least 4 divers all trying to attach a jon line at 20 fsw and they are all hanging there in the breeze waiting to get tangled. There are probably other problems that don't immediately come to mind.

A jon line is not the solution. If the risk of toxing is that high then something else needs to be fixed. Once you've toxed, and are hanging down from the jon line, it may make it easier for them to get your body, but the likelyhood of you making it alive is so slim that it's just not worth the risk of the jon line.

It's always a terrible feeling when we hear of someone dying in this sport. However, we should look at it rationally and learn from it. At this point we don't even know what really happened.

Was the diver at 20 ft when he toxed?
Were his tanks analyzed? Were they contaminated?
Was he working hard or relaxed?
Was his buddy watching him?

Etc.

Thanks to the person who posted the original message. Hopefully we can learn something from this tragic event.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you about jon lines being dangerous. They are probably the single most effective safety featrure that we employ. If one is going to have an oxygen fit during deco the only hope of survival is to be attached to the line. The oxygen fit is not what kills you. It is drowning afterwards. If attached to the line where others can get to you your chances are pretty good. If drifting down, unconscious, and quickly out of sight, the odds are very poor of anyone getting to you in time. The point made about jon lines in crowded conditions is valid. I usually don't dive in cattle boat conditions. When it is really crowded a second deco line needs to be dropped.

I prefer to dive in such a way that I don't have a high risk of tox, and then I don't need to use a jon line which adds even more problems. However, to each his own. High PO2's no gas breaks, etc. are all reasons for toxing. Having a jon line to save your butt because you didn't manage your gas makes no sense to me. I find it especialy dubious whether your buddy will actually be able to save you. I certainly wouldn't count on that.

Jon lines are not just to save your butt because you made a mistake. They generally make long decos much easier. If you do not think that another diver could save you if you fitted while on a jon line, then without the jon line you have even less chance. Don't con yourself into thinking that these sorts of things can never happen to you because you follow some sort of rule book. Certainly you can minimise the chances by the gases you choose, etc. People get Decompression illness at times for no apparent reason, and I have come across people fitting, when according to the rules they should not have done so. As I have said to you before, the ultimate safety precaution is to perhaps stay at home.

Just thought of a new use for the butt D-ring on the crotch strap - tandem jon line clipoff. First diver clips off to the upline, second diver clips off to the first diver, any third diver clips off to the second diver, etc. That way they're all out of each other's way.

:D

kidding of course

Yes, the safest way to go is not to dive. But the safest way to deco is with a lift bag, not flying in the breeze on a jon line.

Well that is your obviously not so humble opinion. The rest of the world come to their own conclusions as a result of their own experiences. Everything depends upon the circumstances. Since I don't have the luxury of a boat captain to chase after me the bag you mentioned is useless. We have very safely and successfully used jon lines for many years. I have noticed over the years that the end result of being incredibly adamant about what everyone else should or should not do is that you inevitably make yourself look rather foolish.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Just thought of a new use for the butt D-ring on the crotch strap - tandem jon line clipoff. First diver clips off to the upline, second diver clips off to the first diver, any third diver clips off to the second diver, etc. That way they're all out of each other's way.

:D

kidding of course

Where is that coke alert button?

Back
Top Bottom