Ultrasonic Cleaners Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaves that mineral film, and vinegar will remove it.

I use it for "light duty" cleaning of my heat exchangers in the boat as well. The "heavy duty" stuff is hydrochloric and oxalic acid (that's serious stuff!) and can only be left in there for 5 minutes or so; vinegar can be safely left in the raw water side for 15-30 minutes with no problem. I try the "light duty" first and only resort to the serious stuff if the first attempt is not fruitful.

It won't clean out biological "stuff", but that's not the point here I suspect - the issue here is mineral deposits (calcium primarily) that is in the water and for that it should work very well.

Airspeed press is down for me, probably at this side of the world. How much does it retail for at the website?
And does it do International shipping?

Anyway, Stone, what temperature do you usually heat the 50/50 vinegar up to before pouring into the cleaner? near-boiling?

Edge,

Once again I defer to a quote from Vance's Reg Book:
Cleaning and rinsing solutions should be used warm. A rule of thumb has it that increasing the temperature of a chemical reaction by 20 degrees C doubles the speed of a chemical reaction.
I heat my 50/50 solution to "hot coffee" temperature (drinkable hot coffee, not scalding).

In addition to the ultrasonic cleaner, I highly recommend a "dry air" blow gun made from an old first stage. I screwed an HP gauge directly into the HP port, a pressure regulator (0-150 psi Sears Craftsman) into one LP port, and a pressure relief valve screwed into another LP port. This rig is indispensible for drying parts and blowing the water out of the stages.

Thanks, your help has been invaluable.

Why does your old first stage have a pressure regulator and a relief valve built in, isn't the blow gun enough to vent pressure before you release it from the tank?

I'm still having major problems choosing an ultrasonic machine.

Check this webpage out, the person says that this costs only.... 54USD!!

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~osapl/Pages/uclean.htm

But the dimensions are a bit worrying, is a tank depth of 53mm sufficient?

And I was at the local hardware store checking out ultrasonic chemicals, the guy said that ultrasonic chemicals are just detergent like floor cleaner or dish washer, just that it doesn't have acid/ alkaline depending on the mix. So I went around searching and found a brand of floor cleaner concentrate that was available in either an acidic/alkaline or neutral formula, which would you recommend and can I even use the floor cleaner?

Thanks for starting this forum!!!
Someone had offered me a cleaner 2 weeks ago.
I did not take it because I didn't know of a use for it!!
I picked it up sat. its a branson 200 brand new in the box :)
Rick L

Edge,

I've been TDY for the last week, and have just started catching up with my email. I'll answer what I can.

Why does your old first stage have a pressure regulator and a relief valve built in, isn't the blow gun enough to vent pressure before you release it from the tank?

The "Sears" regulator allows me to adjust the LP port pressure to anything between 0 and 180 psi.

When drying reg parts using a blow gun, I set the "Sears" to a low pressure so I don't blow a part out of my hand and across the garage.

When powering my nail gun, I set the "Sears" to 80 or 90 psi (although I own a 5HP compressor, I can attach my "dry air rig" to a pony bottle and be totally portable).

The pressure relief valve protects hoses, equipment and gauges attached to the first stage. Since I use the "dry air rig" with equipment other than a blow gun, the pressure relief valve is quite necessary.

I'm still having major problems choosing an ultrasonic machine. . . is a tank depth of 53mm sufficient?

Only you can say. I don't have a problem with rotating a first stage that can't be fully submerged.

. . . I was at the local hardware store checking out ultrasonic chemicals, the guy said that ultrasonic chemicals are just detergent like floor cleaner or dish washer, just that it doesn't have acid/ alkaline depending on the mix. So I went around searching and found a brand of floor cleaner concentrate that was available in either an acidic/alkaline or neutral formula, which would you recommend and can I even use the floor cleaner?

Doesn't it depend on what are you trying to clean?

I use a 50/50 vinegar solution to disolve minor mineral film on regulators. My wife uses a neutral jewelry detergent for jewelry.

Let us know what you learn.

It's alrite..

BTW, is that you bidding on the branson ultrasonic cleaner in labauction?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom