Unbalanced P-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the quick disconnect, so if I don't hook up a catheter, I'll just unhook the disconnect. I plan to dive w/ a catheter most of the time though.

So if I take the bolt off completely (assuming I have a catheter on) as long as the catheter or hose doesn't fail water will flow in and out of the valve/tube throughout the dive.

If I leave it closed, open it to p, then close it again, p will be trapped in the tube and probably catheter? When I go to disconnect the catheter, won't urine spill out that was still stuck between the quick disconnect and the catheter? And when I flush the tube/valve, urine will still be there.

Does leaving it open throughout the dive effectively flush out most of the urine (at the risk of getting some outside water near my urethra)?

Another question after reading this thread is how do you keep the hose from kinking? The connection isn't a 90° connection is it?

my vote is for balanced.
I have a Halcyon, and although it flows excellent it has failed twice on me. My vote is for simple, a bolt is pretty simple. My now backup suit has had a simple pee valve that has done hundreds of dives without a single failure. I previously had another balanced valve that flooded my suit, which was quickly replaced. Plus I paid $175 for the Halcyon balanced vs $25 for a simple valve. The simple valve will outlast the Halcyon.

I have the quick disconnect, so if I don't hook up a catheter, I'll just unhook the disconnect. I plan to dive w/ a catheter most of the time though.
I admit I haven't seen one of the disconnects, but as long as it seals up you should be okay.

So if I take the bolt off completely (assuming I have a catheter on) as long as the catheter or hose doesn't fail water will flow in and out of the valve/tube throughout the dive.
Maybe. Is it worth the risk? Pee is sterile so why the fear of it?

If I leave it closed, open it to p, then close it again, p will be trapped in the tube and probably catheter? When I go to disconnect the catheter, won't urine spill out that was still stuck between the quick disconnect and the catheter? And when I flush the tube/valve, urine will still be there.
Open the bolt, and disconnect. Don't fear your own pee. You can use toilet paper, feminine products or a paper towel if you want to absorb as much as possible. Wash your base layer often. Learn to disconnect outside the suit and let the drops hit the ground. I flush my tubing immediately with a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and alcohol.

Does leaving it open throughout the dive effectively flush out most of the urine (at the risk of getting some outside water near my urethra)?
You might be able to get a little flush going, but not all of it. Sometimes you just might have to pee within a few minutes of departing the water. I have left mine open but couldn't tell you what came out of the tubing when disconnecting since I generally drink enough water to keep my pee clear. If diving wet or with no exposure protection, you will have water near your urethra anyhow. *shrugs*

Another question after reading this thread is how do you keep the hose from kinking? The connection isn't a 90° connection is it?
Route the tube up, then down in a loop. Everything should line up, and if not, adjust until it is. Longer is better than shorter for a hose. Also cut the cath down where the hose goes in so there isn't enough at the tip to bend and kink. In other words the fitting should go deep enough into the cath so it is now mounted into the tip of it.

I have a ton of dives on both and I still prefer the balanced. Ymmv but the failures people used to complain about have never been an issue with mine. Maybe they are made differently now?

my backup suit has a straight-shot unbalanced though

Litehedded, what brand of balanced valve are you using that works so well? As I said my Halcyon has failed me twice and it is supposed to be the top of line. They charge the most for it anyhow.

For what it's worth, urine is not sterile.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to avoid getting it on me :), or having to unnecessarily show people my junk. I guess I'll just give it a try and see how it goes.

Urine IS sterile. It's superb culture medium, though. That's why rinsing out the valve and tubing after diving is critical to the safe use of a p-valve.

It is highly likely that at least some of the UTIs that men get from p-valves are due to back pressure from either trying to pee against a closed valve, or a kink in the tubing.

I like balanced valves, but I have to admit that the duckbill eventually seems to fail and leak. I've converted a couple of mine to unbalanced by blocking the hole.

Urine is usually sterile. It's superb culture medium, though. That's why rinsing out the valve and tubing after diving is critical to the safe use of a p-valve.

It is highly likely that at least some of the UTIs that men get from p-valves are due to back pressure from either trying to pee against a closed valve, or a kink in the tubing.

I like balanced valves, but I have to admit that the duckbill eventually seems to fail and leak. I've converted a couple of mine to unbalanced by blocking the hole.

Fixed :wink:

The internet is ambivalent about the sterility of urine. I prefer balanced, and have had a good experience with light monkey's tinkle. Never had a leak.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom