Uncomfortable feeling in chest after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
I've noticed something happening to me which, thankfully is not as noticeable now as it used to be after my first few dives.

After diving I experienced a dull pain in my chest but very high up. I would describe the location as being behind my collar bones. The sensation is very similar to splenalgia although it is nowhere near my spleen and it is not quite as severe as the side stitches that I have experienced when unfit and doing strenuous exercise.

This sensation would usually last for about a day after diving. I very much doubt that it has anything to do with deco as, so far, we've been over cautious when it comes to our ascent and by maximum depth and bottom time have not exceeded 15m and 30min respectively.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to my breathing and maybe a build up of CO2 but I know very little of medical matters. Not sure if my description is quite clear enough but does this sound familiar to anyone?

As I said, it's not as noticeable now as it used to be when I just started diving which is another reason why I'm thinking it may have something to do with my breathing technique.

I'm not too worried about it but I would be curious to know what causes it.

I'm no doc -

My chest used to hurt when I first started, for me it turned out to be my breathing pattern - why it made me hurt I'll never know - but I used to take HUGE gulps of air because my instructors hammered home breath deep, and actually caused me to not empty my lungs all the way either.

I learned how to breath when I watched a cave diving video that had the sound, first thing I noticed was how the person was breathing.

went out and changed my breathing and never had a problem since - breath normal, you don't need to breathe like you have a doctor checking your lungs saying "take a deep breath"

If your suit is too tight you can incur some stain/bruising of your upper chest. I had that happen from a skin-diving in such a wet-suit. it took a few weeks to heal.

It could be some strain in the collar bone area from the weight of the rig on your shoulders. We all come to the sport with certain weaknesses based on prior activity. Frequent diving usually builds the needed capacity.

This all based on prior experieince, not medical knowledge.

Pete

I've noticed something happening to me which, thankfully is not as noticeable now as it used to be after my first few dives.

After diving I experienced a dull pain in my chest but very high up. I would describe the location as being behind my collar bones. The sensation is very similar to splenalgia although it is nowhere near my spleen and it is not quite as severe as the side stitches that I have experienced when unfit and doing strenuous exercise.

This sensation would usually last for about a day after diving. I very much doubt that it has anything to do with deco as, so far, we've been over cautious when it comes to our ascent and by maximum depth and bottom time have not exceeded M and Min respectively.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to my breathing and maybe a build up of CO but I know very little of medical matters. Not sure if my description is quite clear enough but does this sound familiar to anyone?

As I said, it's not as noticeable now as it used to be when I just started diving which is another reason why I'm thinking it may have something to do with my breathing technique.

I'm not too worried about it but I would be curious to know what causes it.

I couldn't hurt to place a call to the DAN non-emergency line to see what they have to say.

It could be a musculoskeletal strain from carrying the weight of the gear around. Diving can also place us in unnatural positions for extended periods which could also be a factor.

When you have the pain is it worsened by deep inspiration or by movement of the chest/shoulders?

When you have the pain is it worsened by deep inspiration or by movement of the chest/shoulders?

Thanks for all the responses. I think I may just phone the DAN non-emergency line.

What I should have mentioned is that this "pain" (and I use the word pain loosely as it is more of a discomfort) is really only felt when inhaling deeply. On the expiration cycle of my breathing I don't feel it at all. Also, I can't say that it is felt with chest/shoulder movement.

I've had regular pain in my left chest, nipple area, after diving. It used to bother me alot, thinking that it is a pulmonary barotrauma or something. But it never bothered me in my exercise, my run, or my swim - so I've pretty much written it off as musculoskeletal. I am still not sure what induced it, it must be some type of weight bearing. It does make me much more aware of my rate of ascent, my breathing pattern, etc. It might be due to an intracostal muscle, or muscle between your ribs; or part of your pectoral muscles.

If it doesn't affect your excercise tolerance, perhaps it is simply musculoskeletal strain.

SCUBA up and shake it off, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I find if I have chest pain I jog a mile on the sand with my gear and by the time I reach the "Wall" I can't feel my legs either! You didn't say how old you are but if your over 50 I would do two miles because it takes longer with clogged arteries to get the blood pumped out of your legs! Either that or remember your nipple ring is not a D ring and therefore don't attach your BCD to it! :shakehead::mooner:

I find if I have chest pain I jog a mile on the sand with my gear and by the time I reach the "Wall" I can't feel my legs either! You didn't say how old you are but if your over 50 I would do two miles ..... :shakehead::mooner:

Tsk, tsk, tsk..... How medicine was simpler in the middle ages!!! Now it is an EKG, treadmill test, cardiac catherization, brain scan!! We could save a bundle of money on testings if we'd just refer chest pain patients to PapaBear. :rofl3:

Thanks for all the responses. I think I may just phone the DAN non-emergency line.

What I should have mentioned is that this "pain" (and I use the word pain loosely as it is more of a discomfort) is really only felt when inhaling deeply. On the expiration cycle of my breathing I don't feel it at all. Also, I can't say that it is felt with chest/shoulder movement.

Was following your thread, and I'm wondering what you found out from Dan

Back
Top Bottom