Undergarments for COLD water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caity

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got my first drysuit and I'm looking for advice for the best undergarment for diving in NorCal. Water temp is usually in the mid 40's to low 50's.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big recommendation for the whites mk 1 base layer (on sale at DRIS for $25!) and then fourth element arctic, light, flexible and warm. And considerably less than other $400 systems.

I just got my first drysuit and I'm looking for advice for the best undergarment for diving in NorCal. Water temp is usually in the mid 40's to low 50's.

Something warm, thick and fluffy made from material that doesn't absorb water.

Polarfleece works well if you have enough, as would many other things.

Most drysuit underwear is 90% marketing, however in reality, there's no magic. The insulation is provided by the airspace between the fibers of the insulation, not by the material itself.

Thinsulate, for example is generally composed of PET, which is used to manufacture soda bottles. Soda bottles provide more or less zero insulation, while Thinsulate insulates very well. This is because when it's made into a mass of thin fibers, the air trapped between the fibers actually provides the insulation, not the actual PET material.

Buy whatever fits well, keeps you warm and doesn't restrict your movement.

Also, make sure it doesn't have a neck or cuffs that will get in the way of your drysuit neck seal or cuffs. Drysuit underwear is phenomenally expensive for what it is, and sensitive to fashion and marketing, so keep an eye out for discontinued styles and odd colors, and you can save a ton of money.

flots.

What I have used:

Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate, with 200G Thinsulate vest under. Good for temps in the low to mid 50's and relatively short dives (45 min).

4th Element Arctics. Completely inadequate for either summer or winter in Puget Sound.

White Mk3. Was the best I had found until recently.

Weezle Extreme -- similar to the Whites, in warmth and weight.

4th Element Halo -- similar in warmth to the Whites, but less bulky and required the same amount of weight. Easier to get into my Fusion dry suit.

Thermal Fusion -- warmest of all, lightest, most flexible, and appears to require a little less weight than the Mk3.

If you have a generous budget, I'd recommend the TF. If your budget is more limited, I'd recommend either the Weezle or the Mk3, depending on what you can get the best buy on. The Halo is only a little bit less expensive than the TF (unless you want to buy mine), and I like the TF better.

I swear by Ron. I have the 250g and the 100g garments. I also have his socks. I've dove the 250g in a leaky dry suit and was perfectly comfortable in water down to 35*. It cost me $79. He has a good return policy if needed. You should see the looks of anger I got when my buddies heard how cheap the garment was compared to their high dollar garments.

Sent from my DROID X2

You must just run A LOT warmer than me (and others). I'd FREEZE in 250g Polartec in 55F, much less 35F. I'm using a crushed neo drysuit, thick hood, dry gloves, base layer, and 400g Thinsulate undergarments, and I'm now shopping for a heated vest, all for usual temps of 50-55F! :)

I swear by Ron. I have the 250g and the 100g garments. I also have his socks. I've dove the 250g in a leaky dry suit and was perfectly comfortable in water down to 35*. It cost me $79. He has a good return policy if needed. You should see the looks of anger I got when my buddies heard how cheap the garment was compared to their high dollar garments.

Sent from my DROID X2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom