Underlying Fears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

panic, when not driven by irrational fear, seems to happen when one is in a bad situation and runs out of options and starts looking at the ultimate outcome.
That's a great point. It's my opinion, that the point of panic is largely unpredictable for most people. The "cone of safety", which sounds like something developed by Get Smart, seems to assume that you can mitigate panic or at least, predict it's onset. That's just not the case. It's not that people pop in and out of the cone. They make a mistake, like run out of air. They're at depth, so their cognitive abilities are already diminished. At this point a jolt of fear causes their perceptions to narrow to the point that their training is no longer available to them. They can't see their buddy right behind them, so they bolt to the surface alone. As you pointed out, as their options decrease the fear devolves into panic and they become unreasonable. In their panic they forget to breathe out. After all, they only did one CESA in OW and that was a while ago. As they get shallower, they embolize and have an AGE induced stroke at the surface. It's a cascade, like an avalanche, that escalates as the mistakes pile one on top of each other.

What's your point of panic? No one can really know until they cross that threshold. You might be right on the edge and recovering when that catfish bumps into you and you completely lose it. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:
You all are quite informative and make a noob not feel a fool for asking questions.
The only 'stupid question' is the one you fail to ask. Many people have the very same questions but lack the courage to post them. Kudos to you for wanting to learn and not allowing your nascent fears stop you.

Looks pretty similar to BSAC's Incident Pit concept.

From Wiki quoting BSAC.
It is important to realize that the shape of the "Pit" is in no way connected with the depth of water and that all stages can occur in very shallow water or even on the surface.

My interpretation, so it might be off.
Thal's cone is connected to depth, with the point being your greatest operational depth, the width of the cone is how you deal with task loading and handle emergencies at increasing depths. As you increase your training and experience at depth the point gets deeper, with time away from diving it gets shallower. Once you move out of the cone you move into the BSAC incident pit.

Bob

Thal's cone is connected to depth
Personally, I don't like linking risk and depth. Yes, there's a certain correlation. However, that correlation is pretty far from 1:1.

While I don't ascribe to either, I think it's important that we develop personal constructs that help us to deal with this sort of thing.

Caveat: I've described "Cascading" here. No single mistake kills you. It takes multiple mistakes to take most people into the panic zone and their ultimate demise. In the scenario I presented, there were at least three mistakes already made before the OOA. The diver failed to monitor their air supply and lacked the situational awareness to know where their buddy is. Their buddy also failed in monitoring their supply as well. We could probably come up with a litany of mistakes that both of them made, but we can still see the cascade as mistakes pile up on one another.

Roatan. Good.

Grenada. Good.

Beaver Lake, Arkansas. Uh-oh.

Seems to me you may have inadvertently taken on a number of potentially anxiety-provoking factors all at once. Any of these can add psychological stress.

1.) Deep with no hard bottom.
2.) Lower viz. (which can make the abyss look more intimidating).
3.) Colder. Doing deep, cold diving at a quarry, I learned even if my exposure protection is adequate, a really cold environment (e.g.: mid. 40's) 'feels' more dangerous than a warm one. 130 Feet deep at Oil Slick Leap (Bonaire) or the Blue Hole (Belize)? Watch NDL, remaining gas pressure & be mindful of potential narcosis, and I wasn't diving solo, but not too bad. About 100 feet in much more limited mid-40's water at the quarry? And solo, too? Has more impact on me.

You may find it useful to confront your issues one at a time instead of all at once. Maybe some night diving in the ocean, or shallow diving in the lake with a visible bottom? Take it slow. Once you're confident in your buoyancy & ability to deal with gear failure, 'bottomless' diving may be less frightening.

Richard.

Sometimes it may beyond your training...and sometimes you need to think it away. Our local quarries tend to have very poor viz which deteriorates every Saturday for some reason. :wink: I have wondered more than once when I could see nothing other than my buddy 'what am I doing here?' I know how to breath and I know I don't have to worry about animals and I know I can't go deep enough where I couldn't surface without air. So the feeling passes. It generally only lasts 1 second and I forget about it.

... I know it's not a fight or flight issue for me. ...//...
Good. That is the deal killer.

"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.
Chasing shadows moonlight mystery.
" -RS

Find out what floats your boat and be happy with pursuing that. This is for fun and self-fulfillment. Don't try to prove anything to anyone but yourself.

I think I may have a few things to contribute here. First, let me say that I have been diving since 1959, and am a safety professional for over 30 years. Saying that, I have never before heard of the "Incident Pit" concept, and it is not discussed within professional safety circles. I have been a member of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSE) since the 1980s, and the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) for well over 10 years now, and neither of these organizations use the "Incident Pit" concept. This apparently was developed by British divers and diving physicians to explain things without consulting the safety profession itself.

But, the "Incident Pit" does explain the fears that our OP presents, of falling into the depths in limited visibility water. So let me address that right now, and get back to safety concepts in another paragraph.

Divers don't "fall." We float! However, modern divers have been sold on heavy steel tanks which contribute to divers being overweighted, and completely dependent upon their BC to be weightless. That didn't happen with the steel 72 cubic foot tank, which was as close to neutral buoyancy as a tank can be designed. If a diver starts out properly weighted, so that without air in the BC the diver is at eye level buoyant on fully inflated lungs, and only uses the BC to compensate for the loss of buoyancy of the wet suit, there should be no fear of "falling" in diving. We are essentially weightless, and "fly" in the water, buoyed by the water itself. We essentially, if properly weighted, cannot "fall." If a diver dives in this manner, there should be no fear of "falling" underwater.

Now, concerning the "Incident Pit," let me give some alternatives to this concept. First, let me explain the DeJoy Human Factors Model for Accident Causation, which I have depicted below. We know that virtually all accidents are the result of "human error." But how and why do we error? There are, in this model, three contributing areas to human error. They are "Person-Machine Communication," the "Environment," and "Decision Making." For each of these, there are other areas which feed into these three. You can take a look, and I won't completely elaborate because that would be beyond the scope of this post.

I will talk just a bit on the "Micro-Task Environment" and the "Macro-Task Environment," as these feed into the limited visibility situation we're discussing. The micro-task environment is that "stuff" immediately around the diver. This includes how the equipment the diver is using is fitted (actually "anthropology/biomechanics), the use of gloves, a mask with limited field of vision, the water not allowing full visual representation, etc. The macro-task environment would be how the diver fits into the total environment around him or her. Again, the limited visibility allows disorientation of the diver, and if in a river, the currents can cause a person in limited visibility to get "turned around" (which is why a compass comes in very handy in limited visibility).

The "Decision-Making" process comes into effect in limited visibility, as already there is a "predisposing factor" of anxiety because of the colder water and the limited visibility. This is where dive planning comes in very handy. You have heard it said, "Plan your dive, and dive your plan." But at times, especially in limited visibility, you need to be able to improvise when the "plan" comes somewhat unwound (disorientation, loss of buddy contact, etc.). These things need to also be planned for, and the divers need to surface and re-group if buddy contact is lost. Or, hand-holding or a buddy line can be employed to ensure buddy contact is not lost.

These are the control factors under the "Management Control Strategies" section of this diagram. I won't go further because this is already pretty long.

I will say that accepted accident investigation techniques include what is called the "Fault Tree Analysis" (where the "fault" is a system fault, and not blaming someone for a "fault"). One of the other that we have used (there are several more) professionally is the Five Why Analysis. It is beyond this post to explain these, but I do feel that the "Incident Pit" concept gives divers the wrong feeling, that of "falling into the pit" rather than floating and figuring out what is happening, determining how to cope with those happenings, and ascending to the surface. NetDoc was onto something when he discussed buoyancy above.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH
NAUI #2710 (long ago retired)

Attachments

• DeJoy's Human Factors Model of Accident Causation.jpg
    DeJoy's Human Factors Model of Accident Causation.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom