underwater boat locator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I forgot to mention I am a solo diver and the driver of my boat, etc, etc. Its just me, myself and I. Keep in mind it is blackwater as well so unless you snag yourself on the anchor you probaly won't see it. So I thought it would be nice to know where the anchor was and unless you keep up with bearings at all times, I don't think a compass would work.

I have probaly 250 dives in the blackwater but am always looking for a better way as part of my continuing diver education.

thanks to all for comments!

Iamsharky

If theres any current running, a compass is almost useless. Use a wreck reel and after you tie your anchor or wreck hook in, tie the wreck reel off on the wreck itself. Its always gotten me back.

Jim

I have one and really am not impressed maybe the more expensive one would of been better

iamsharky:
I am wanting to purchase an underwater boat locator, the item you can place on the anchor and find your way back to the anchor. Anyone know who to contact about the purchase of this item?

thanks,

A reel is much cheaper and potentially more reliable....

Sounds like a pretty nifty toy if it works well.... I dove the Yukon not too long ago and the vis was terrible. I wasn't able to find the anchor line upon my return so I made an open water ascent, no biggie. BUT, I had thoughts of bringing my strobe along with me to leave at the bottom of the anchor line to visually see it at the end of my dive if I was close to it. I figured this might be a bad idea because I don't know how close I would have to be in poor vis to see the pulsing light....anyhow, I'm very good with a compass and I'm usually the navigator in my group, but having a gadget like that sounds pretty neat. I wouldn't shell out the money for it, but i'm curious to how it works out....=)

I had a Scout and wasn't very impressed so I gave it to one of my friends.
I dive almost exclussively in Roatan and the way the reef is around there you get way to many echos........

Also the water is very clear and in the day time the Led's are very hard to see....

The reciever uses 1/2 AAA battries which I've only found at Radio Shack for about 15 bucks a piece.....

Wasn't really impressed with the Magnetic on/off switches.........

I think if you were diving in Low Vis on a bottom that didn't have allot of structure it might actually work..................

Just my opion... I could be wrong

Thanks all. I went on the website and it appears that the Sport, which is more expensive than the Scout (550.00) has more LED lights and apprarently can bring you closer to your target. However that is alot of money for something that might not work.

My present modus apparendi is to swim into the current, after the dive make an assent and drift back to boat. The only problem with this is during a slack tide and you ascent and have to swim back to boat. There are also alot of critter around and I hate being in the feeding zone any longer than I have to.

I had thought about the reel but with all of the rock projections and other debris there would be constant entanglement issues and I could not effectively cover the areas I need to, due to air consumption while dealing with a reel. Also with the currents at times it would be impossible to run a reel.

I don't think the projections would be large enough to create echo problems on a sonar. Like I said this is black water, which means very little if any visibility.

Anyways, thanks again guys, this is a great forum!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom