Underwater Laser Pointer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THings about underwater lasers:
1. The IST works fine, and it is safe for marine eyes. (and human eyes as it turns out.)
It's not for signalling in any sense. It is for pointing.

2. Many (all?) green lasers are dangerous for eyes. And the Department of Homeland Security takes the green laser problem seriously enough that people have gone to prison for many years for pointing them into the sky, whether or not you interfere with planes or not. In fact airliners added a green laser protection device after some near tragedies caused by green lasers pointed into the sky blinded pilots on approach.

#2 sounds ridiculous, until you read the physics of it. The internet has removed the safety factor that used to come from being able to assume that things you could buy in brick and mortar stores are legal and safe. Because you clearly can buy things that are not safe at all, and whose use will get you arrested and put in prison for years, when you shop on the internet.

If you use some of those listed on the above-linked Z-Bolt page, you face federal prosecution if you use them outdoors.

The red lasers suck underwater, even the "super-red" models that show a brighter-looking wavelength. I had high hopes (years ago) to use red lasers to show off things on the bottom to my students, but the little red dot is just too hard to pick out unless you're right on top of your target.

At night it's not so bad, but when you're also carrying a dive light in addition to the laser, it can get rather awkward. :eyebrow:

I've heard LOVELY things about the green lasers however. Being able to actually track the beam is bloody fantastic, AND the green dot is noticeably easier to pick out. Astronomers swear by them for use in teaching outdoors. If prices ever go down to something reasonable, I'm definitely trying a green laser out.

I looke at that Z-bolt underwater green laser. The price is good, but the thing has a "constant on" switch. I personally think that's not something you want to be using, unless you're REAL careful with it. What I recommend is an on-demand switch, like a push-button or trigger.

I own and use a GreatLand Rescue Laser. It goes with me on most every dive and I carry it when I go off the road system. Never had to use it "for real". But, in tests it does very well as a rescue signal device. It has only been down to 150' so I don't know how it would do on deep dives.

I'm not thrilled about the safety and performance of lasers underwater. In fact if someone llluminated me with a laser I would consider that a hostile act and respond accordingly. Most of my acquaintances feel the same way. So you might want to take that into consideration when thinking about underwater lasers. Plus, I've never seen one that was of low, safe power that was worth carrying under water.

I am also very interested in this, but for some reason I can't open any of the links posted.

Interrested too
Found some more links:

qualitychinagoods.com/diving-laser-1002-50mw-532nm-green-lightl1002-p-1289.html

Same but with different wattage options:
szwholesale.com/diving-laser-1xcr123a-50mw-532nm-green-lightl1003-p-3076.html

I just don't know why theres a huge difference in output.. some are <5 and others 100mW but they are cheaper..

Hey guys, those posts are from last year. The original posters might not be around anymore.

I had bought a couple some years ago. They were never powerful enough to cut through the particulate and when I pulled them out of the drawer a year or so later, getting ready for a dive trip, neither one worked.

For me, they were a bust...

From what i read, only the green laser will have a visible beam. what color is yours?

Still trying to find a fully waterproof (30m) green laser

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom