Underwater Laser Pointer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes...HA HA... fish will chase a laser light. Just take your cat laser to a per shop and watch the oscars chase it around their tank. However, just like in humans, these lights will destroy a fish/critters eyes. I bet you don't even know how often you will, inadvertently, shine them in all the critters eyes that are in the way of your play. I would be really upset if someone started useing one around me. If they shined it on me, in any way..shape...or form, that pointer would be short lived.

Wow... that was kinda rough. Without the hostilities; could you please educate me with facts on the hazards/dangers of using a low ("less than" {<}5 miliwatt{mw}) laser pointer? I have always entered the water with a philosophy of "take nothing but pictures (and me with no camera...), leave nothing but bubbles."

I am always looking for that edge that will give the best experience for me and those that are sharing the time under water. But NEVER at the expense of the environment I have been privileged to visit.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 01:13 AM ----------

I used the old Z-Bolt laser and loved it as a pointing device, no more guessing at was I am pointing at as it creates a very visible beam in the water that SOME fish chase...not all by any means. I was letting our dive guide in Mexico use it since he was such a great critter finder. I ended up giving it to him at the end of the week as a bonus tip.
SCUBA-1 Underwater Green Laser for Scuba Diving & Marine Use, Salt Water Proof to 200 ft

I just bought the newer version (oddly half the price and half the length)...the beam appears to be the same. both are twist to turn on. Though it seems on the new one if you don't twist it all the way you can push on the butt end of it to turn the light on and off...curious how this will work as depth increases....can't wait to try it out.

Have you had an opportunity to use this on a dive yet? If so; what are your impressions? Do you have any idea of what battery life is?

I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at any particular hotel chain last night, but

Laser safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read the article, it talks about pointer type lasers - Class 2, as being safe when not passing through magnifying equipment because they depend on a .25 second blink reflex to limit retinal and corneal exposure. I'm not sure that assumed blink reflex applies to some of our underwater friends nor am I entirely sure I like a safety standard based on my own blink reflex, but I'm just picky. I was also left unclear in reading the article about the effect of the laser passing through corrective eye wear.

Any qualified opthamologists or laser scientists are more than welcome to jump in here...

Funny thing...I know a number of folks who deal with laser sighting systems for firearms who are reflexively uncomfortable with being lit up...even by a pointer. To some folks, it's a party favor...to others it's a weapon. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
I wonder why dive laser pointers are of such low power. 1W Green lasers on land are becoming more common, although a bit pricey at 5-700.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom