Underwater Propulsion Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the Sea Doo one that is rated to 30m and is slightly positive bouyant. At about 20 lbs, its easy to carry and it's small. But it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be, even with the "turbo" button. But I guess for $300 it's what you get.

I just got the SEA-DOO SEASCOOTER today in the post for £50, good price if you ask me but their was a big spider inside the box along with the webbin! scared me. :)

Who knows where the spider really came from like outside the Uk or something...

What kind of diving do you plan to do with your scooter? That will make a big difference in which one you should choose. I have talked to people who had very bad problems within minutes of first using a SeaDoo, YMMV

For me it will be just basic use of the scooter for diving and snorkeling. I know it wont pull me around at super speeds but for normal use it should be fine.

What bad things have you heard about them?

fdog:
Another point of view: Gavins, SS and X-Scooters fall into the relm of life-support equipment, and the GTI is an accessory.

All the best, James

Seadoo = Toy

Gavin, X-Scooter = tool

:)

How would you buddy dive with a scooter? I am assuming your buddy would also have to have one. Seems you could get WAY too far from a buddy if he didn't have one. Can you use these devices on boat dives? I have only seen these in the dive shops and I do think it would be cool to have one, but I ma thinking I would have to choose dive buddies that have one too, or buy two and share! :)

Anyway, guess this is off topic a bit. Hope you find a good one and have a blast!

randy

Rdharbis1 raises a great point that most definitely is relevant.

Any scooter is a new piece of equipment that requires a change in your dive planning. Team skills are an important part. Team separation can easily occur with scooters especially in water that is less than clear.

When we dive recreationally we are concerned about nitrogen loading and air consumption. When you add a scooter you now need to juggle a third variable which is burn time for the battery. You just don’t want to deal with a dead scooter ½ mile off shore.

Some in this thread have knocked the gti as a toy. OK it’s not a Gavin but it will get you into trouble if you don’t know what you are doing.

Consider the scooter specialty… two dives and a good orientation. Oh the gti can be set for surface running or neutrally buoyant. You might consider adding a bolt snap and a line to the handles so you can clip it off to your BC. It will spare your wrists and get you into the tow sweet spot.

My 2 cents… I’ve been diving and teaching with the gti this past year and have had minimal problems with it.

Mike7:
For me it will be just basic use of the scooter for diving and snorkeling. I know it wont pull me around at super speeds but for normal use it should be fine.

What bad things have you heard about them?
The operator a instructor friend of mine works for bought a few of them, and she and another instructor took two out to test. Her scooter's switch failed after pulling here a grand total of 3'....the other lasted 15 minutes longer.

teknitroxdiver:
The operator a instructor friend of mine works for bought a few of them, and she and another instructor took two out to test. Her scooter's switch failed after pulling here a grand total of 3'....the other lasted 15 minutes longer.

Ouch, well I've got another one coming (brought two) and will be testing them out in a swimming pool next week so will post how they do. Were hopfully taking them on holiday too so hope they do the job!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom