Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This has been discussed before, but lets do it again and so I can learn what the latest consensus is.

I am sick of being cold! Last night the water temp was 45 degrees and it's on it's way down to a low of 38, with four more months of cold diving. After 50 minutes I was cold and the other three divers were still warm. I am such a cold water wimp!

I've been layering to try to stay warm: micro fleece, fleece, fleece vest and the fleece undies that came with my (now replaced) Whites dry suit (I think it's 300g). When the temp gets below 40, I add a layer of polypros. By then I feel so restricted and bulky it's ridiculous. And I'm still only good for 40 minutes before I get cold.

Did I mention I use argon, too?

I'm going to spend some money and try to get the warmest undies made for all mankind. Maybe I just need to add a Patco Heater.

So, if you dive cold water (I'm taking in the mid 40's and below), and have an opinion on undies, please educate me.

Rick, I can't remember what kind of suit you're using, but I found it helped a great deal to go to compressed neoprene. The other thing I've added is a heated vest from Cozy Winters. The vest doesn't make you "toasty warm", but I never end a dive shivering any more. Of course, your temperatures are more extreme than the ones I dive in, but that combination worked in 43 degree water last January.

I frequently dive in water in the low 40s or less. I've recently moved to the Weezle Extreme+. After 6 dives, I'll give the Weezle a provisional thumbs up.

I wear it under a Bare Trilam HD Tech drysuit. On my first 4 dives with it I just wore a pair of compression shorts underneath. While I found that to be warm, I found the zipper a bit uncomfortable against my skin. On my last 2 dives I added the same Smart Wool base layer I had used with my Bare CT200 undies. I was much more comfortable without having the zipper directly up against my skin. That's the combination I'll be diving this winter. My official, unqualified thumbs up will hopefully come after another 10-15 cold water dives.

I recently went through this same bout. I think I am going to end up with a DUI 400g and a Weezle Extreme+ If nothing else, than for the sake of having a backup.

We have been testing a couple of the Patco heaters at our shop. The guys LOVE them. I think they got one of the 50 or 55w heaters and one of the 25w or so.

Additionally Golem Gear have released a new vest that you might be interested in. I had a chance to see it, but haven't had it in the water. Given Jakub's background, I have little doubt it is of top quality, and will work superbly. It ain't cheap though!

I hate the cold water as well. Last dive I was shivering so bad I could hardly read my computer. It always hits me around the 30 min mark. I'm using mec base layer, stanfield wool sweater, fleece vest, bare ct200. I'm going to give the weezle undergarments a try with the special Dive Right In Scuba is running. Hopefully they can get enough orders to make the price. If they don't work I may have to move to the Caribbean and dive warm water.

Rick, I'm still using the same thermal protection we discussed about a year ago when you so kindly welcomed me to ScubaBoard! :)

I'm still toasty!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2603629-post12.html

Part of what I do for water below 40F:
  • Weezle Extreme Plus
  • polypropylene underwear first layer
  • 4-layer fleece chest pad
  • two layers of socks
  • plenty of weight
  • plenty of air in the suit
  • I use only my drysuit for buoyancy control
  • drygloves with two pairs of liners
  • ice cap underhood
  • I avoid constriction
What do you do for your hands which you said were a major issue?

What about your head and feet?

Maybe you're losing too much heat in those areas.

Just out of curiosity, how much weight do you use?

That will shed some light on how much insulating air you have in the suit, assuming average build and typical squeeze, of course. :D

Dave C

Just out of curiosity, how much weight do you use?

That will shed some light on how much insulating air you have in the suit, assuming average build and typical squeeze, of course. :D

Dave C

I'm 6', weight 186#'s. I'm diving double 95's with steel BP and a 4# V weight. I often carry 1 to 3 stages. Fresh water. In the summer, I use no weight because I use less insulation. If I dive salt, I use 2#'s of V weight, but in salt water I'm warm, 'cause so is the water. I am satisfied that I am properly weighted. I can add enough air/argon to take out the squeeze, and then I use my BC. In the winter, I move a little more air into the suit.

When you dive stages but still need to be able to stay neutral should you lose those stages and breath up most of your backgas, you start out plenty negative. So if I ever wanted to do a Michelin man with my suit I can.

no, expirience with it yet, but how is the Pinnacle Merino Evolution undergarment

I will be diving this in Alaska in Feburary and wanted to know how many layers I should plan to have with me. I was told temps range from 41F to just below freezing, with an average of about 37F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom