Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually purchased from my LDS. I just googled the garment to find a link

Gotcha ... I went and got all worked up for nothing. Our shop does sell alot of Pinnacle undergarments to local drysuit divers. I went with the Weezle Extreme+ for the washability though.

I've considered it, but I really want something I can wash. I've tried to avoid the thinsulates for that reason, and that's part of the appeal of the fourth element line for me. (that, and I like the look!) (and the rumored warmth, of course)

You can wash the thinsulates (in my experience) if you are careful
Either in the tub with warm water and white vinegar then dry flat or even in the machine with no soap and vinegar on delicate

Yes, it may reduce the life a bit but if you get them as factory seconds for less than say $200 and now they last 3 years instead of 5, seems a reasonable solution to me.

*Update*

Dived yesterday in 36 degree water. Had to wade through broken ice on the surface to get into the water. Did a 45 min scooter dive. When you scooter, you get much colder faster because you're not swimming (not exerting, just holding on for the ride) and the water flowing past your body so fast wicks off the heat a lot faster.

And I was nice and warm in the MK3 the entire time.

I did another dive last week and my right arm flooded - completely soaked. Only stayed in for 12 mins and my right hand was hurting bad. But my flooded right arm stayed warm in the MK3.

These things are amazing. :D

I've now had an opportunity to compare the DUI 400g with the MK3. I think they're equally warm, judging from 80 minutes in 44 degree water. But the MK3 is FAR more comfortable, flexible, and has that really neat relief zipper . . . AND it's washable.

I'm awaiting delivery of mine.

I got one of the Pinnacle Merino Evolution undergarments (650gm wt). I will say it is very warm, but because of the thickness & loft, it requires a good deal more weight. My first undergarment was White's MK2. While it was warmer than a wetsuit, I would get cold after about 25 minutes in 42 degree water. I've had the Pinnacle in 50 degree water & was almost too warm. In recreational gear (a recreational BC & single AL 80 tank), the MK2 I had to wear about 30# of weight, with the Pinnacle I had to wear about 48#. In my BP/W & double LP85's in the MK2 I needed no extra weight & was more than plenty negative. With the Pinnacle I need about 10# extra. I will be using the pinnacle again this weekend in waters that are about 40 degrees. We'll see if it passes this test. The only small complaint it is tends to be a bit binding in the arms & legs & hampers flexibility a little (remember the scene in "A Christmas Story" with the kid in the winter outfit, so bundled up he couldn't move?..... yeah, kinda like that):D. Overall I'm impressed with it's warmth & I think with a little work, I'll get used to how it moves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom