Undone Tank Band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally tried out the tank pads I got for FREE from cool_hardware52 today. Took the 11 year old to Shaw's in Laguna, made her strap her own tank down with a dry strap just to see what would happen. She is 78 lbs, and I ALWAYS have to do it for her. She strapped it down, carried it from the car to the beach, did a 40 minute dive, carried it back to the car, and it didn't slip a bit. I am really impressed...thanks Tobin!

xSandman3:
Finally tried out the tank pads I got for FREE from cool_hardware52 today. Took the 11 year old to Shaw's in Laguna, made her strap her own tank down with a dry strap just to see what would happen. She is 78 lbs, and I ALWAYS have to do it for her. She strapped it down, carried it from the car to the beach, did a 40 minute dive, carried it back to the car, and it didn't slip a bit. I am really impressed...thanks Tobin!

Sandman,

Glad the pads worked for you and your daughter. They really are a simple, inexpensive solution to a common problem.

Regards,

Tobin George

Cool,
Received the pads you sent. Put one on my wife's B/C. She LOVES it!!!
Makes it a bit easier for her to secure the cam-strap.
I tried with all my might to twist the tank in the band but I couldn't !!! And this was without wetting the tank strap before securing.
No tank slipping problems here!!
Great product.

Firecrizzotch:
This wasn't a large incident but I've seen it twice (once in OW pool dives and once Saturday). My buddy and I were diving at Vortex Springs, FL and we had descended to the mouth of the cave at approx. 55ft to photograph some FW eels. We finished our business there and that's when I saw'im.

As we're coming out, this guy is coming down into the hole, and it's just not pretty; he's flailing around (I think he was weighted improperly due to his cylinder) and most importantly, his cylinder had become detached from the BC. So now the cylinder is floating far enough behind him that the hose is threatening to yank the reg from his mouth. So I rocketed over to him and realized he was wearing some kind of fins that were made of foam and what appeared to be mostly rental gear. Well it scared him when I patted his shoulder and flashed him the OK sign, which he didn't return.... Well I had no idea what to think of that (he's still breathing), so I just went to work on his tank and got it back in and secured. I then just watched him go on about his business. He may never have known he had a problem.... This raises alot of questions for me. I'm a new diver (only like 11 dives now), but where was this guy's buddy? Was he even certified (no OK symbol)? Who cleared him to rent equipment? :06:

I just hope to god he didn't actually enter the cave :jump013:. I didn't hear any fatality reports, so I guess he came out ok. However, it did make me feel really good to help him out, and I guess I solved my first real problem UW. Thanks for listening.

the crizzotch

What was this guy doing near a cavern/cave entrance anyway? With 11 dives what were you doing near a cavern/cave entrance? Cavern and cave diving is extremely dangerous and can only be accomplished through rigorous training, lengthy dive experience and good equipment set up.

I never trust rental gear. Rental BC's suck. Single tank bands suck.

I bought a Dive Rite Transpac II, weight integrated (some don't like weight integrated, but I do)...two thick tank bands that keep that tank glued to my back...no flopping around underwater.

Just my 02

At Vortex Springs there is a very large, open cavern opening leading into a cave system. Most of the newly certified divers will descend to the opening and just sort of look at it. It's about 45' to the cavern opening. I similar to standing right in front of an ampitheater but not walking in under the roof.

cool_hardware52:
Sandman,

Glad the pads worked for you and your daughter. They really are a simple, inexpensive solution to a common problem.

Regards,

Tobin George

Tobin - the pads arrived earlier this week. They are now installed on my daughter's bc straps and we'll test them out this weekend. I'll let you know how they work out.

Thanks

Marc

I tried mine out this weekend. My Zeagle BC already has a gripper on the bottom strap, so I put this one on the top strap. It holds very nicely. I may try to unravel the bottom strap and replace the stock gripper because I think Tobin's tank grippers are grippier!

Thanks Tobin!

Andy

In my opinion, being able to re-strap your tank at depth should be a skill required to pass an open water course along with some basic navigation skills but some reason or another non of the cert. agencies ever call me up and ask what I think.

android:
I tried mine out this weekend. My Zeagle BC already has a gripper on the bottom strap, so I put this one on the top strap. It holds very nicely. I may try to unravel the bottom strap and replace the stock gripper because I think Tobin's tank grippers are grippier!

Thanks Tobin!

Andy

Glad to hear the pads are working for you.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom