Unfriendliness at Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warren i have a question..if you saw someone breaking into your car would you confront them? or wait for the police to come..and as far as a citizens arrest ..its a good way to get hurt if theres more then one..

Maybe canadian cops are faster at showing up than american ones, and less overworked. I really cannot think of anyone that WOULD'NT have gone out there and confronted those sign-swiping weenies. It's certainly not an activity where one would expect to be put in danger. I'd have done it in a heartbeat... so would most of the women I know. Ha! I'm defending the surly restaurant owner.

snuggle:
warren i have a question..if you saw someone breaking into your car would you confront them? or wait for the police to come..and as far as a citizens arrest ..its a good way to get hurt if theres more then one..
I suppose it would depend on who, and if I was by myself, but I would probably call the cops and take note of the details. My car can be replaced.

I have my trusty buddy - louisville for events such as those our friendly dock taxer witnessed.......and yup - I would have confronted the sign theifs.

My guess is they tried to run over him after he asked for his $10 dock usage tax.

EDIT : Now.....after thinking about that what about a friendly call to the CCRA providing a rough estimate of # of divers x $10 to alert them to the $1.50 he's potentialy ripping the government off for.......

JJ1:
I have my trusty buddy - louisville for events such as those our friendly dock taxer witnessed.......and yup - I would have confronted the sign theifs.

My guess is they tried to run over him after he asked for his $10 dock usage tax.

EDIT : Now.....after thinking about that what about a friendly call to the CCRA providing a rough estimate of # of divers x $10 to alert them to the $1.50 he's potentialy ripping the government off for.......

Are receipts issued for the $10 or cash only?

Beats me....... I've never had the courtesy to pay someone for the right to use a nationaly regulated waterway - be it disguised as a parking fee or otherwise.

who's to say they were even divers. University or College students looking for signs for decorations are just as likely. It got so bad around here, that both local universities will suspend any student found with a traffic sign in their room (dorms). If they buy a used one somehwere, they better have the paperwork to back it up and prove it's not stolen.

I think someone should suggest this to the owner
And get a grip on the situation before this gets out of hand

I will attempt to answer some of your question here.

• The boat ramp is township property.
  • The sign has been posted for at least 10 years.
  • When you dive off the dock you get a ticket/receipts and a standard waiver, the reason why they would like you in first
  • I spoke to the owner of the possibility of just plain vandals he wouldn't hear of it.

I have been diving in Rockport for 10 years now and from a personal observation this happens every spring. The divers are not really welcome to dive from shore. They perfer the bus tours and boat goers. Who would you rather come to your establisment 3 divers who would have a bowl of soup and coffee or 40 tour bus passengers that would eat a full lunch.

Back
Top Bottom