Unfriendliness at Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal:
Kevin has found out some info (good news), not to spoil it, I'll wait for a bit before posting his info as I think he deserves a lot of credit of following this though with the proper authorities, and getting the information we all need regard Rockport.

Three cheers Kevin (and everyone else that helped to clear up this issue)...

June

Are you saying that the bylaw officer I spoke with and the information I received and posted (post #87) is incorrect?

Jerry

She did say good news - so perhaps it's to elaborate on what you posted! One can only hope!

I freedived in Rockport last night. Due to my long fins, jumping off anything isn't a real option so I chose to enter and exit from the boatramp. Several curious people drove or walked by while I was gearing up and down, but not one word was spoken to me.

PS It was a very good dive, although very very cold. For those who are wondering I do not use hot water in my suit when freediving.

Huff-n-Puff:
Are you saying that the bylaw officer I spoke with and the information I received and posted (post #87) is incorrect?

Jerry

Sincere apologies... I missed your post. Kevin provided that info though another email listing.

So you're definately one to send the cheers to.

Though correct, and indicates that as divers we have the right to use the boat ramp. A certain amount of common courtesy says we don't need to ruffle feathers to the local businesses, and we should be polite whenever possible.

In Kevin's note, he wisely mentioned the fact of parking -- you still need to be aware of where you park.

Stoo:
...it might have been more useful if you had tried to understand why he didn't appreciate someone trying to steal his sign...

The important word here is "his". As in "his sign". Not a lawfully erected sign, but a misleading sign.

Shame on him. As frustrated as he may be by people who don't choose to eat at his restaurant, he doesn't deserve any understanding for putting up his own misleading sign. If his sign is on public property, I'd encourage anyone to remove it, or better yet, post their own "Ignore the no diving sign - it's just the crooked restaurant owner trying to rip you off".

Huff-n-Puff:
Bylaw in Rockport regarding divers....There is none!

I just received a call from the bylaw officer for Leeds County, very nice person who proceeded to let me know that there is no bylaw, no temporay injunction and to ignore any signs that say no diving off the boat ramp. It is a public ramp with no restrictions to the public for it's reasonable use.

Further, as far as he is aware of, town council is not engaged in putting together a bylaw restricting or stopping divers from entering or exiting via the boat ramp. Also it is illegal for anyone other than the municipality to place any signs at that ramp.

Should anyone approach you and state otherwise they are to be directed to: (and please do it politely)

Ken Gilpin
Bylaw Officer
Leeds & Thousand Islands
613-541-3213

So there it is. Now the only other issue is parking, it is limited so be responsible where you put your vehicle. Lets not give "you know who" another platform to beat his chest on. I will be speaking with a local business owner to see if we can figure out a solution, at least for off season.

Jerry
Well you have until July 1st when the new Marine Security Regulations come into force along the Seaway. Enjoy the shore diving in Rockport while we still can.

I have always patronized the restaurant when diving there and I am empathetic to the owners as I have seen other divers walk into the restaurant's washroom wearing their wet wetsuits and getting the floors all wet and then leave without spending any money. I am sure that the non diving customers do not appreciate this. Divers must be considerate of the local residents wherever they are diving. I have even heard rumblings about the Village of Cardinal residents being upset about the speed divers drive their vehicles down to the Connie by the park near the legion.

Well you have until July 1st when the new Marine Security Regulations come into force along the Seaway. Enjoy the shore diving in Rockport while we still can.

PLease explain further not really clear...

jroy017:
PLease explain further not really clear...
Marine facilities that have commercial vessels will be subject to the new marine security regulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom