Unfriendliness at Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we didn't seem to have a problem at Boldt Castle last year. just show your passport, they sign you in, and we're off
1st ones on the Keystorm too
coming back to Canada was just a matter of making a phonecall at Mallorytown Landing. we were not allowed to get off the boat until the phonecall to CCRA was made by the boat capitan

Apart from having my scuba gear xrayed by Canada customs at pearson returning from the caribean in a secondary check (I get more than my fair share of those) I dont have any dive related incidents hence my curiosity . However when some finger wagging took place over the border security a few years back it reminded me of a time I rode across the US border at Niagara Falls on my motorbike, being waved thru by the US officer without even lifting my visor or stopping. Third in a group of three , by the time I had reached the booth my friend had already talked us into the states and the guard just waved me on. I asked later what he said to him and he said "We're just going to Buffalo for wings. Know any good places ?"
Maybe its just me but I get far more hassles returning to Canada than going to anywhere else whatever the mode of transport.

artw:
we didn't seem to have a problem at Boldt Castle last year. just show your passport, they sign you in, and we're off
1st ones on the Keystorm too
coming back to Canada was just a matter of making a phonecall at Mallorytown Landing. we were not allowed to get off the boat until the phonecall to CCRA was made by the boat capitan

Went to dive rockport friday AM from the boat ramp and got chased away they said they were gonna call the bylaw it was actually the restaurant by the boat ramp (boat tours) this time so we didnt argue and dove centeen park wich was an excellent dive with temps of 37f

DS1:
Went to dive rockport friday AM from the boat ramp and got chased away they said they were gonna call the bylaw it was actually the restaurant by the boat ramp (boat tours) this time so we didnt argue and dove centeen park wich was an excellent dive with temps of 37f

Not that I really want to promote this multithreaded thread's continued growth but do you think maybe there might be a chance that the no diving sign means...No diving not scuba diving.

Those signs are common on bridges, dams, docks, swimming pool decks, etc, pretty much everywhere.

Perhaps over time it was confused for no scuba diving?

No idea because I've never seen the original sign but just curious.

We've gotten off topic (Rockport) here. Maybe a mod could split this off to t anew thread?
It's interesting reading, but I don't see it having a huge impact. I know nothing about the "cruise ship" at Rockport. Is it a "cruise ship" under the act "cruise ship" means a vessel to which Part 2 applies and that has sleeping facilities for over 100 persons who are not crew members, but does not include a ferry.? Or is it a daytrip ship? Does it land in the US? Is there any other "commercial" traffic in Rockport? After reading most of the posted link, I see the "cruises" being affected much more than divers. They may need to erect security checkpoints and hire people to "search" those boarding. I wonder who owns the dock where the cruise ship is and who'll pay for fencing, cameras, security guards, etc, required.
I don't know about anyone else, but I AM NOT submitting to a body search, such as is required for aircraft nowdays, in order to take a scenic cruise along the seaway. I can just imagine my parents reaction (my dad especially) if they had to go through a metal detector, and empty pockets, remove shoes (he wears very stiff shoes of the type with metal in the sole), etc, to go on a river cruise.

d33ps1x:
Not that I really want to promote this multithreaded thread's continued growth but do you think maybe there might be a chance that the no diving sign means...No diving not scuba diving.

Those signs are common on bridges, dams, docks, swimming pool decks, etc, pretty much everywhere.

Perhaps over time it was confused for no scuba diving?

No idea because I've never seen the original sign but just curious.

Here is a pic of the old sign.
http://groups.msn.com/hellfishdivers/rockportontsatmar272004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=892

Jerry

DS1:

Curious, why would they chase you away? What was their reason?

I know they are diver friendly and are aware of the bylaw for public use of the ramp including scuba diving.

I guess my big question, what did you or one of your friends do?

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom