United to Begin Charging Extra for Second Bag!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now run the numbers with a buddy in the car going with you. Airfare doubles, car costs remain virtually the same. For really dramatic savings, consider the case of 4 buddies (or a family of 4 or more) in a van that gets 25mpg.

Don't forget to factor in the rental car or taxi costs you'll have if you fly.

Of course, that's an exceptionally long drive and that is a subjective factor. If it's too much driving for someone then no amount of savings matters. If I were doing it I'd make a stop in Pensacola for the Oriskany and maybe another for Ginnie or other springs. Can't do that flying.

Doesn't a person's time spent in a car have a cost?

Hotels?

Food?

:11: Speak for yourself! Two years ago I flew round-trip, direct flight to St. Maarten...7 days lodging plus airfare was $550. In september I flew to Fort Lauderdale round trip for around $150. A week ago I had to pay over $300 just to fly to Puerto Rico in March. I was also looking at prices to fly to Freeport to do a liveaboard and the cheapest flight (with transfers even) is $400.

The point here is? Airtravel is pretty cheap? :D

The point here is? Airtravel is pretty cheap? :D

Add to that the natural volatility of air fares. Random anecdotal evidence to 3 different locations doesn't say anything, even before you take into account season, purchase timing, stopovers, and whole slew of other factors.

I can get a RT coach ticket to Hawaii for under $200 or over $1500, depending on when I want to go and when I book the ticket. Saying it cost me $1800 to get a ticket the week before Spring Break doesn't mean prices have gone up.

Doesn't a person's time spent in a car have a cost?

So what's the cost? You were using precise numbers before. Don't stop now.

Food? I presume you would have been eating anyway? Hotels? Sure but a few cheap rooms isn't going to make a dent in the economic comparison involving 2 or more people in the car.

Hey, I'm not saying it's better to drive from Denver to Miami but not everyone is faced with that extreme of a trip. If you are simply not up to that amount of driving it's really not an issue of economics anyway. When you get down to a 10 hour drive though you are really going to have to hate driving to make flying a competitive choice.

So what's the cost? You were using precise numbers before. Don't stop now.

Food? I presume you would have been eating anyway? Hotels? Sure but a few cheap rooms isn't going to make a dent in the economic comparison involving 2 or more people in the car.

Hey, I'm not saying it's better to drive from Denver to Miami but not everyone is faced with that extreme of a trip. If you are simply not up to that amount of driving it's really not an issue of economics anyway. When you get down to a 10 hour drive though you are really going to have to hate driving to make flying a competitive choice.

I used to tour with a band as a sound engineer... I used to drive over 300,000 miles a year. I prefer flying now. Also, I'm a premier member of United's FF Program, so this whole thing doesn't effect me anyway. :D

Just as I thought, the economic comparison was a red herring because you had already made your mind up regardless of the outcome.

The airlines are going to nickel and dime us to death. Once one airline gets away with something sooner or later they'll all follow suit. :(

I live in Chicago and I rarely fly United. I just don't like them. For the last 10 years I usually do better on American (but they're not much better).

But if I have been reading the thread correctly United is not charging golfers for golf bags. Then I say we contact United and make some noise that if golf bags are not considered an extra bag than neither should our gear bags. :crafty:

Or just pack your gear in a golf bag.

Just as I thought, the economic comparison was a red herring because you had already made your mind up regardless of the outcome.

Well... also I fly from Denver to Ft Lauderdale about 10-12 times a year. This would be 24 days of driving, or almost a month of my life.

Honestly, I'd rather pay $50 - $100 more to fly direct than have to make stops. But that's just me.

Now run the numbers with a buddy in the car going with you. Airfare doubles, car costs remain virtually the same. For really dramatic savings, consider the case of 4 buddies (or a family of 4 or more) in a van that gets 25mpg.

Don't forget to factor in the rental car or taxi costs you'll have if you fly.

Of course, that's an exceptionally long drive and that is a subjective factor. If it's too much driving for someone then no amount of savings matters. If I were doing it I'd make a stop in Pensacola for the Oriskany and maybe another for Ginnie or other springs. Can't do that flying.

So how do you go places like Bonaire, Hawaii, Australia??? I think Boat rides are even more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom