Unknown & Heroin Aug-19-2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED:
Hi,

I was hoping for my dive buddies (Earl/Chris) to post the trip firts

Well, I figured people must be getting bored with me posting dive reports by now. Nice pics Ed.

Aah, how one letter can change the meaning of a word:wink: .....Nice dive pics.

LobstaMan

Great pics.

Tampico_ED:
Thanks, hopefuly by now all of you have spotted the sea reaven on the flounder pic :)

Bah, your Sea Raven is easy to spot! But if you can find the sea raven in the flounder picture I posted I'll be impressed! :D

Thanks for the positive feedback from everyone.

RIOceanographer:
Well, I figured people must be getting bored with me posting dive reports by now. Nice pics Ed.

Uhhh, no! Keep at it, please. I, at least, enjoy them.
P
Nice Pics.

Okay, since my boycott seems to be failing to get my buddies to post the details of the dive (I actually thought one of them might want to do it for a change but I guess not) :D...... first dive was on an unidentified wreck south of the Quonochontaug breachway in 95 ft of water with a bottom temp of 59 F. It was a 30-40 ft wooden vessel of some sort and it is marked on the charts as well as described on p. 68 of RI Adventure Diving II. Relatively small wreck but still kind of interesting. Neither Ed or I brought our cameras on that dive.

Second dive we dove the Heroine (not the "Heroin" as LobstaMan pointed out :D "Today we did the the Heroin...." just doesn't sound good....). All of Ed and my pictures were from that dive. Depth was about 75 ft with a temp of 63 F. The wreck is pretty broken up, but there is a large relatively intact section of the bow.... those greenish pictures I posted are the very tip of the bow. There is also a large boiler, with a funky condenser on the top. The wreck was crawling with winter flounder.

When we arrived on site, another boat was already hooked into the Heroine and they let us tie off their stern. Big thanks to them for that! They were doing a surface interval because they'd just done a deeper dive someplace else, so we went down ahead of them. Well after our dive we were all chatting about how great the dive was, and they came out of the water talking about how much this site "sucks". So I say, "I don't know, I really like it." They all look at me like I am nuts and one of them says something to the effect of "We'll have to show you some real wrecks" like the only way I could have enjoyed the site was if I didn't know any better.... just goes to that show tastes vary.... :D

Hey Chris,
I saw a fish this past THursday that I have never seen before. It was about 3-4 inches long and had a snake/eel-like appearance. It was colored like a garden snake, all multiple spots of black/red/orange in a random pattern. I wouldn't say it was striped but it had some organization to the colorations. I found it at about 40 feet at 3 1/2 Fathom Ledge outside of Boston Hahbah. It caught my eye when it moved, but then stayed still and assumed an eel-like s-shaped position.
Got any ideas what it might have been? I asked the captain and he said he'd seen them before but had no idea what they are.
Paul
edited to correct spelling

paulthenurse:
Hey Chris,
I saw a fish this past THursday that I have never seen before. It was about 3-4 inches long and had a snake/eel-like appearance. It was colored like a garden snake, all multiple spots of black/red/orange in a random pattern.

My first guess would be a rock gunnel, but there are a bunch of other possibilities. Check out this picture and see if it looks similar. Keep in mind that like many fish they vary in color so the colors may not match the one you saw:

http://www.netevents.net/martinez/Gallery/newengland/rock_gunnel.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom