Unsealed Apeks 1st Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey gene pm me ur address and billing info with shipping to and from 08904. Thanks. Ill be just sending the first stage.

Actually, I am the owner of a dive shop I started in 1980, Zeagle's first account, Aquatic Adventures Scuba, and an on-line business, Zeagle Express.
I am a PADI OWSI, USCG Master, and master technican if it adds cred to the conversation.

I'm not sure you need to add the1st stage enviro kit to that regulator.
Diaphram regs are environmentally sealed by nature of the design.
It's only the spring chamber in the 1st stage that is exposed to water, and of concern.
If solid ice formed around the spring, in theory it could stop the spring from cycling.
But the diaphram isolates the spring from the expanding air in the first stage, and the spring is external of the diaphram, in warmer than freezing temperature water.
You could freeze it in air, but if someone here has seen a spring chamber freeze up underwater first hand, please tell me about it.

You might want to set the IP down to 125 psi.

More important I think would be to add the 2nd stage metal heat exchanger.
The heat exchanger replaces the visable black plastic spacer over the treads on the 2nd stage where the hose attaches onto the 2nd stage.
This uses the temperature of the water to moderate the air temperature as it expands during the breathing cycle. You can add this yourself if you have a pair of 4" adjustable wrenches.
This part is $20.00

So even with cold water diving in nj in the lower 40° water temp ill be ok with the ust first stage and zrd second stage? I just don't want to take chances

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom