Untrained cave diving in the Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If everyone is so upset about this why are you not naming names? The shop, guide, instructor, etc that you does this that you do not name will kill someone and how will you deal with that. Knowing you might have been able to prevent it. Name em here, the deco stop, and for chrissakes put it on Facebook!

---------- Post added May 1st, 2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

Nice music to die to though. And seriously though, if someone is stupid enough to pass the sign maybe the gene pool is just thinning itself. Obviously these divers were never told about being responsible for themselves. And if an agency does not take some kind of action they will have blood on their hands as well.
I don't think SB would let names be put on SB, [they don't like it when I get on AL's case {poor babies !!}] but I do think those who have first hand experience w/the 'guide' and shop should give serious consideration to reporting it to the DA's office as well as PADI/SSI and the State's Attny's office...Then it's on record and there's a little thing called 'dereliction of duty' that the DA's/State's Attny's office may want to consider ;O !!!!!...With it on record the 'guide/shop/DA/State's Attny/Park and maybe even the state of Florida, may become liable if found derelict/negligent....Wouldn't that be an interesting suit :O !!!!!.....Are you listening Florida ??!!.......

I don't think SB would let names be put on SB, [they don't like it when I get on AL's case {poor babies !!}] but I do think those who have first hand experience w/the 'guide' and shop should give serious consideration to reporting it to the DA's office as well as PADI/SSI and the State's Attny's office...Then it's on record and there's a little thing called 'dereliction of duty' that the DA's/State's Attny's office may want to consider ;O !!!!!...With it on record the 'guide/shop/DA/State's Attny/Park and maybe even the state of Florida, may become liable if found derelict/negligent....Wouldn't that be an interesting suit :O !!!!!.....Are you listening Florida ??!!.......

PADI and SSI will have no power whatsoever over a CMAS shop in The Dominican Republic. You may have missed that this is taking place outside of both Florida and the United States.

I think the people to contact are the Dominican Republic Speleological Society. According to their web site, they are dedicated to stopping this sort of activity, which apparently happens quite a bit on the island.
..If they're responsible for stopping this 'activity' how comes it happens 'quite a bit' ???!!! :(....Isn't that like 'military intelligence' or 'jumbo shrimp' ;P ??!!

..If they're responsible for stopping this 'activity' how comes it happens 'quite a bit' ???!!! :(....Isn't that like 'military intelligence' or 'jumbo shrimp' ;P ??!!

I didn't say they are responsible for stopping it; I said they are dedicated to stopping it. There is a huge difference. I suspect that there is absolutely nothing against the law involved here. If that is true, your recourses are few.

The one in Florida was American Pro Diving. Somewhere near the Orlando area. They do a lot of the crystal river Manatee snorkel/dives. But they also do guided dives in local springs.

Although I realize that new(er) divers don't know what they don't know, one disturbing thing I see way too often in divers, is the divers' absolute blind trust in guides & Dive Maters leading a dive. What ever happened to "you are certified divers, plan your dive & dive your plan". Is this being forgotten in OW training? Or is it that the courses are being shortened so much that it gets relegated to "I hope they read it"? If the plan includes following a guide, fine,.... but if it is into potentially dangerous situations or beyond the divers' skill or comfort level, then it is time for the divers & their buddy to refuse to follow. I commend Soltati's refusal to go beyond what he knows is dangerous. There is a time for some "Trust me" dives,... primarily during training, but in that case, the dive plan should be gone over thoroughly, by the instructor & keep well within the instructor's control. Remember there was just a triple fatality in Mexico where a couple likely blindly followed their guide into the cave zone & (sadly) into oblivion. When diving, a buddy pair should have their own dive plan & follow it regardless of what the guide/ DM does.

Although I realize that new(er) divers don't know what they don't know, one disturbing thing I see way too often in divers, is the divers' absolute blind trust in guides & Dive Maters leading a dive. What ever happened to "you are certified divers, plan your dive & dive your plan". Is this being forgotten in OW training? Or is it that the courses are being shortened so much that it gets relegated to "I hope they read it"?

I think there's a different explanation.

In pretty much any such training situation in any area you can name, there is always an element of thought that goes like this: there is 1) to formality of what we are taught and must demonstrate in class and 2) what happens in the real world. These are seen as two different things. What percentage of today's divers were taught to use tables, and what percentage use them? All were taught to use a predive safety check process, but how many actually do it? It is not that they don't know about it--they have decided that the real world is different from the hyper-safe instruction they were given in class.

I have had several occasions in which students told me that friends who were already certified told them that the only time they would ever use the dive planning skills I was teaching them was in class. In "the real world," the DM makes all those plans, and all you have to do is follow the DM.

Boulderjohn, I think you have hit the nail on the head. There is an assumption most of us live by. That knowledge gained in certification courses is "theoretical" and that modern technology can circumvent the application of that knowledge. We further assume that the dive guide is operating under the same rules as your dive instructor. If he can ignore rules, there must be a good reason. It is impossible to have it both ways. Human nature will not allow us to trust the instructor in the classroom and distrust our dive leader. Until we start teaching divers to trust their common sense first, we won't be able to do much about these cowboy operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom