Unwritten SCUBA etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube_share;5NDf4_TRuT4]http://youtu.be/5NDf4_TRuT4[/video]

Just two things to mention:

1) That was not the sound of his ears equalizing. That freediver is deaf and had a procedure done to prevent the need for him to ever equalize. The sound you're hearing is the squeaking of the GoPro/Mount assembly.

2) I believe it to be completely harmless to the scuba diver, and the only harm in the freediver doing it is the fact that he's freediving.....I just hope for him no scuba diver grabs him or reacts poorly. I'd be annoyed at worst at the guy. I enjoy diving for the peacefulness of it all. I don't want someone grabbing me, touching me, or interfering with me in any way. If it happened once, I'd be impressed. Twice, and I'd flip him off.

So I am drifting along looking for critters with my camera and some immature twit comes down to pester me and show off on a selfie basically saying look how cool I am and how clueless you are begging for folks to see him.

I dive to get away from jerks.

No different than you are riding a bus or plane reading a paper and somebody sneaks up on you and does that stuff. Fail to see the fun.

Pathetic.

Most of this is just fun and games; if you can't handle being startled, you'll be just as harmed by an unexpected sea turtle or shark as by some dumbass freediver. However, I do not react pleasantly to being touched by random strangers even under ideal conditions on the surface; put me underwater strapped into a rebreather and my disposition doesn't exactly improve. A few things shown here would make me grouchy, and making the guy with a DPV and a BFK angry when you're a good mile or so from shore is unwise even though the odds of provoking a defensive reaction are quite low.

I dive the first wreck pictured in the video pretty regularly, so it's not a purely hypothetical concern. All I can really say to anyone thinking this would be fun to try is make sure it's well-executed. An invisible tap is likely to be laughed off even if annoying, while turning my head too early and seeing you reaching for me without knowing why would get a different reaction.

i think its awesome too. i would hope that any diver willing to go 100 ft would be able to keep their wits about them if surprised by anything underwater. but i think that6 guy was awesome. he coulda scared the hell outta them id imagine. can't imagine being able to go to that depth and back , so fast, with or without fins

The diver shouldn't panic if somebody taps on the shoulder as it could be just another diver desperately needing air. Same if the diver sees somebody swimming from the wreck, as it could be just a big shark, turtle, spooked grouper or stingray. If the diver is thinking about panicking in these situation, then maybe he/she shouldn't be diving at all or maybe going through some training. The panic kills divers not the free divers having fun.

As him being a jerk, it's one in a million occasion. It's not like the divers are being annoyed in every dive, so what if once in a life time you meet someone like that. It's rare to see a free diver with such skills, so let him enjoy and enjoy with him. I'd just take the camera and shoot the free diver. The video would be more rare than any of the critters people are photographing over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom