Unwritten SCUBA etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diver shouldn't panic if somebody taps on the shoulder as it could be just another diver desperately needing air. Same if the diver sees somebody swimming from the wreck, as it could be just a big shark, turtle, spooked grouper or stingray. If the diver is thinking about panicking in these situation, then maybe he/she shouldn't be diving at all or maybe going through some training. The panic kills divers not the free divers having fun.

To be clear, the concern isn't so much that the gas-carrying diver will panic, but that they will react in a way that could injure or kill the guy who's on a single breath at 100'. Unlike pretty much anything else swimming in the ocean, an unknown human reaching for you with unclear intentions presents a threat, and people react to threats in different ways.

Just two things to mention:

1) That was not the sound of his ears equalizing. That freediver is deaf and had a procedure done to prevent the need for him to ever equalize. The sound you're hearing is the squeaking of the GoPro/Mount assembly.

2) I believe it to be completely harmless to the scuba diver, and the only harm in the freediver doing it is the fact that he's freediving.....I just hope for him no scuba diver grabs him or reacts poorly. I'd be annoyed at worst at the guy. I enjoy diving for the peacefulness of it all. I don't want someone grabbing me, touching me, or interfering with me in any way. If it happened once, I'd be impressed. Twice, and I'd flip him off.

He has to equalize. As for my video, those were buddies on the boat, I was watching them from the surface..

I never said anything about panicking or the like. I merely stated that I do not find random "adult" strangers sneaking up and trying to get attention when I am enjoying something else amusing. My three year old grandson is cute doing that. An adult stranger whose intentions I do not know not so much.

I really enjoyed the part where he kicked the coral on the wreck during the first part of the video. The guys basically a jerk.

I thought it was mostly funny.
I have experienced similar encounters on a few local to SoFla wrecks such as The Duane and The Ancient Mariner.
Not much different than a nurse shark sucking my lobster bag in its mouth and pulling on it.
It's a VERY common occurrence whenever there are off duty USCG Rescue Swimmers on the boat over your head, whether you know they are up there or not.
Chug
Laughs a lot while submerged.

a nurse shark sucking my lobster bag in its mouth and pulling on it.

Now that is funny. As was the remora that tried to attach to me and a dive buddy a couple weeks ago.

another Day .. when he was solo

[video=youtube_share;5ivu3Bk9l2M]http://youtu.be/5ivu3Bk9l2M[/video]

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 05:50 PM ----------

I have a whole collection of them I guess.. 5 yrs ago an old go pro...

Freediver Startles Scuba Hunter while on deco - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;oeUMxQK-ou0]http://youtu.be/oeUMxQK-ou0[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom