Upcoming Technical Conference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R:
Loved to but I don't have the time to explain it that many times. :wink:
I feel that when opposing views get together that is when people really learn. They can be allowed to hear both sides and choose what is best for them. I think it would be really great if you or Dan could find some time to come up.

DPV

Just to keep this totally off topic for one more post.......

Gatorboy: I just checked my records, you don't need a tune-up. It was done in Oct/03 along with a zillion other things. I noted a few other things, so if there's an engine running problem, I would check those areas first, depending on what else I see. As to the "personal tune-up" you require, I don't have that sized monkey-wrench :)

I'm booked pretty solid all next week (Friday's a holiday too, right?, I hate holidays), but the week after that looks good, if it's not severely important that you get in. (I always bend-over backwards for the "must-have it now" jobs.)

OK, so are we talking diving, vehicles or cooking with Martha?

Oh yeah, Tiller update, 37 degrees, completely flooded dry suit (I had to get a hug from DiveMistress), and great vis. You should come out next week.

Steve

Limestone Diver:
I think this thread has become the OFWF (female dog) and complain site. I'm glad spring has sprung and all of us can finally get back into the water.
On a personal note-- if someone breaks their dive equipment because of my charter boats- I fix it. Even if it is a stupid as the diver unscrewing the yoke knob from a reg and then loosing it over the side. I would also expect if someone broke something on the boat, that they would replace it or atleast not make fun of it. If you break the handle off the door of a taxi- the owner would expect you to repair it.

As for recipes-- try wrapping salmon steaks in foil- marinate them in a hot pepper oil and sprinkle with sun dried tomato. I usually put it on the BBQ on med heat and wait until the oil starts to make sounds- then flip and wait 4 minutes. The fish should slide out of its skin and bones.

As for the tech conference-- just like our recipes- we al have different tastes. If you don't like what is on the menu then go to different place to eat. ---Get the point--- if you want to have a DIR conference then I suggest you have one. Just don't go and make a fool of yourselves at someone elses. It would only serve to highten the politics.

"Shut-up and Dive"

Cliff

Gee Cliff, you are sounding a bit bitter these days ...maybe you need to get out and do some diving.....

Limestone Diver:
---Get the point--- if you want to have a DIR conference then I suggest you have one. Just don't go and make a fool of yourselves at someone elses. It would only serve to highten the politics.

"Shut-up and Dive"

Cliff

Well that's it. Now I have to show up drunk and make a fool of myself.

Thanks for the recipe. No Salmon here today but I do have some trout to try it with.

DPVDiver:
I feel that when opposing views get together that is when people really learn. They can be allowed to hear both sides and choose what is best for them. I think it would be really great if you or Dan could find some time to come up.

DPV

This is very true.

Differing viewpoints do provide for healthy debate but I don't believe the people hosting the conference were looking to host one (that's all I was trying to say). When I buy a ticket to a movie I don't sit there and argue with the screen if I disagree, I just watch it. I believe you can learn something from others who you may differ with, by simply listening to them and not always debating.

If Dan and TomR held a conference and someone with an opposing viewpoint called up to invite themselves along so they debate them what would you call them?.

And for the public record I don't have a problem with DIR, Dan or TomR as I respect the lot - I do have a problem with people who adopt a rigid and entrenched position then tell others that's the way they must do things or they are stupid, which is something I see on this board very, very often.

Thank goodness the weather is getting better so people can get off this board and back into the water - you rarely see these debates in the summer.PS does anybody know how to do cedar planked salmon?

Cliff:
Originally Posted by Limestone Diver
---Get the point--- if you want to have a DIR conference then I suggest you have one.

We have one at least 2 times a week, we're not that formally though we just call them dives, it's fun and educational we dive, then assess the dive, have some coffee and a snack, discuss diving and make plans for the next conference. :crafty:

Maxdim you still owe me a translation for that word.

I don't think Tom was trying to say there's only one way to dive, however, it is a technical diving conference, not a TDI conference, and some TDI instructors do teach from the Hogarthian or even DIR point of view. Personally, I had expected to see some discussion on modern decompression ideas, new equipment, presentations from instructors and mentors involving new teaching methods, etc. This is why I asked what the presentations would be on. I don't even see Doppler's name on the presentation list and he's probably the most recognized TDI instructor in this area.

Kevin Ripley:
I don't think Tom was trying to say there's only one way to dive, .

Kevin I know that (ps I love your signature line) - TomR is far too diplomatic and smart to say such a thing and if that's what my comments suggested it was not my intention. (and I have emailed Tom to say so and have stated my respect for him and good training here publicly)

Others however certainly are not as diplomatic and that was more of my point...

Would it be better with other presenters there...absolutely...In fact there has never been a conference of any type in the history of the world that couldn't have benefited by having more experts.

The thing that annoyed me was that right from the announcement some people ( not TOM) on this board immediately had to start complaining that their particular viewpoint or hero wasn't invited...or why aren't they doing it this way...or how come this isn't happening...or how dare they talk about technical diving without so and so ...wah..wah..wah... Jeez Louise it's their first conference and god love them - they actually tried to do something and put one on ...did anybody recognize the value in that before they started immediately complaining?

That was my point (which I obviously failed to make) nothing more.

:11:

There are about 70 tickets left if anyone is interested.

Very nice post Dive Source. I agree whole heartedly. Sometimes, I will go to an event not for the event itself, but for the socializing during and after. Good freinds, good people, more experience in one room than you can shake a fist at. Certainly we all still have something left to learn from someone else.

gatorboy

Back
Top Bottom