Update on my "bent" friend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw the post on Christi's friend. I can not locate the orginal story. Anybody know where it is?

Thanks

Christi, do you have any idea how much the chamber rides, medical care and delayed departure are costing him or his insurance company?

Texas Diver:
Christi, do you have any idea how much the chamber rides, medical care and delayed departure are costing him or his insurance company?

Well, he only has the standard plan, so additional travel expenses are not covered. I have him set up in another friends home that they own on the island for a very reduced rate under the circumstances.

His medicals are right around $16k (hospital bill, chamber treatments/O2, tender/nurse for the treatments, medications, Dr. fees)

Do not dive without insurance!!!

After reading several threads on this Board about people who got bent and the financial costs involved, I have come to the following conclusion.

I will never dive outside the US with a friend or relative who does not have dive insurance. To protect my wallet, I would buy the insurance for them.

Think about it. You go diving in a foreign country with a friend or relative who does not have dive insurance. That person gets bent. He does not have the financial resources to cover the expensive chamber rides and medical treatment he needs. He is refused treatment. Guess who he is going to ask to front him for the cost of his treatments? Guess how much those treatments can cost? Guess who can get 'stiffed' for the cost of his treatments and how long it may take to recover from that level of financial beating. Scary eh! It is much easier to just spend another $50 and buy the insurance for him. I know that would give me peace of mind.

Maybe Local Dive Shops should require proof of insurance before they take customers on diving trips outside the US.

Texas Diver:
After reading several threads on this Board about people who got bent and the financial costs involved, I have come to the following conclusion.

I will never dive outside the US with a friend or relative who does not have dive insurance. To protect my wallet, I would buy the insurance for them.

Think about it. You go diving in a foreign country with a friend or relative who does not have dive insurance. That person gets bent. He does not have the financial resources to cover the expensive chamber rides and medical treatment he needs. He is refused treatment. Guess who he is going to ask to front him for the cost of his treatments? Guess how much those treatments can cost? Guess who can get 'stiffed' for the cost of his treatments and how long it may take to recover from that level of financial beating. Scary eh! It is much easier to just spend another $50 and buy the insurance for him. I know that would give me peace of mind.

Maybe Local Dive Shops should require proof of insurance before they take customers on diving trips outside the US.

I don't know if you saw my post in another thread but if you become ill other than diving DAN doe's not cover it

cdiver2:
I don't know if you saw my post in another thread but if you become ill other than diving DAN doe's not cover it

Actually, the DAN America Preferred plan covers US Citizens for non-diving accident/illness outside a 50 mile radius from their home. $10K lifetime max, $250 deductible.

I STILL do not recommend traveling abroad without helath insurance if it can be avoided. Don't count on any Dive Insurance plan to cover too much outside a dive related incident...even then, it's up to them what they will or will not cover.

Don't dive or travel naked :)

Texas Diver:

Good post TD, and believe it or not, I know of an LDS that requires just that before you go on one of their trips.

Just be sure to be able to forge your buddy's signature well, when you grab his VISA card to cover his bills........ :)

Scuba_Steve:
Good post TD, and believe it or not, I know of an LDS that requires just that before you go on one of their trips.

Just be sure to be able to forge your buddy's signature well, when you grab his VISA card to cover his bills........ :)

I have a space on the dive application asking if they have it, and if not, I will get them signed up on the spot. I don't REQUIRE it, although that's a thought! I do however, explain the benefits of having it and strongly encourage it.

There are many places in the world where one is not allowed to dive without insurance. In Israel every dive shop can write it on the spot, but without it you can't even get gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom